Using Liquid Malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentFermenter

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question,

I'm on about my fifth wilko can brew kits, now experimenting with different DME/yeasts/dry hopping, attempting to develop a nice americal style IPA.

My question is, instead of using the wilko kits as a base (and before moving to do it from scratch) does anyone have any experiece of using the Mangrove Jacks liquid malts?

Could I use one of their 'Mangrove Jack's Pure Light Malt Extract 1.2kg' pouches instead of the wilko tins? are they different? I know there must be a difference, as the wilko kits are around 1.8kg

Or if so is there another product I could use that is similar to the wilko kits?

Have the mangrove Jack kits not been pre-hopped for bitterness?

Thanks in advance!

The Mangrove Jack kits will be hopped, their liquid malt extract isn't though. At least the one I have to use isn't (1.2kg pouch). I just had a look, 100% malt extract.

Last edited:
Correct.

If you buy just liquid malt you are going to need some hops to do a boil to add bitterness and flavour. Geneally, if something is sold as a kit, it's usually pre-hopped.
And personally if you're going to hop the extract yourself I'd go with DME, I've always found LME gives the "homebrew twang" of legend, but never got it with DME.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question,

I'm on about my fifth wilko can brew kits, now experimenting with different DME/yeasts/dry hopping, attempting to develop a nice americal style IPA.

My question is, instead of using the wilko kits as a base (and before moving to do it from scratch) does anyone have any experiece of using the Mangrove Jacks liquid malts?

Could I use one of their 'Mangrove Jack's Pure Light Malt Extract 1.2kg' pouches instead of the wilko tins? are they different? I know there must be a difference, as the wilko kits are around 1.8kg

Or if so is there another product I could use that is similar to the wilko kits?

Have the mangrove Jack kits not been pre-hopped for bitterness?

Thanks in advance!
Use the LME instead of sugar with your kit and it will improve the beer and up the ABV

And personally if you're going to hop the extract yourself I'd go with DME, I've always found LME gives the "homebrew twang" of legend, but never got it with DME.

By DME, you’re talking about spraymalt? The last couple of Mangrove Jacks kits I’ve done, I’ve used their LME in place of sugar. The results have been excellent. If I substitute the LME for spraymalt, do I use exactly the same quantity (1.2kg)? And by and large, the results should be exactly the same (possibly less any twang)?

By DME, you’re talking about spraymalt? The last couple of Mangrove Jacks kits I’ve done, I’ve used their LME in place of sugar. The results have been excellent. If I substitute the LME for spraymalt, do I use exactly the same quantity (1.2kg)? And by and large, the results should be exactly the same (possibly less any twang)?
No DME is more concentrated and 1kg is roughly equivalent to 1.2kg LME.

If you check the calculators on the forum tab it will link to Brewer's Friend where you can do the conversion.

LME -> DME Equation:
DME = LME * (37 / 45) = 0.82

DME -> LME Equation:
LME = DME * (45 / 37) = 1.2

(LME)1.2kg * (DME)0.82kg = 0.984kg

If you check the calculators on the forum tab it will link to Brewer's Friend where you can do the conversion.

LME -> DME Equation:
DME = LME * (37 / 45) = 0.82

DME -> LME Equation:
LME = DME * (45 / 37) = 1.2

(LME)1.2kg * (DME)0.82kg = 0.984kg

Thank you! That’s really helpful.

Latest posts

Back