Using whisky bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get my caps from wilko because I walk past the one in Kingston so often
I just like going into Wilko and looking at the homebrew stuff even though it's almost always stuff I won't buy. I find it a bit tranquil. I buy a packet of caps almost always, even if I don't need them, to sort of say "We know you're here - don't give up."

Sounds stupid when I write it down but I'm scared they'll stop doing it one day and it'll be another thing gone.

I don't think it sound stupid all shops are struggling to compete with online shops and if Wilko give up selling home brew stuff it will be a sad day for many members, I bougbo most of my kit there when I started out and use them if anything needs replacing or upgrading.

Hi @Dode
I got the impression from your OP that you carbonate your beer in the PB and simply use bottles to transfer to the fridge immediately prior to drinking.
If so, going down the route of glass bottles and crown caps may be an unnecessary expense.
I recommended screw-top bottles as they are the same size as commercial beer bottles (500ml) and smaller ones are available.
Hey @Bigcol49
At the mo' I have about half a dozen half bottles and two or three get filled before tea, maybe more if there's any visitors expected that night, so the bottles don't sit full for too long. It would be much better though, if I had beer bottles that could be filled and kept so will either buy some bottles or will see what I can find at the glass skip. The hotel and the shop are pretty close to the skip so there may be more beer bottles in there than would be expected.

Fingers crossed:cool:

I always bottle and enjoy it. Something good about putting the stock away and it’s always easy to slip a couple in the fridge which suits me.

For low number purchase of crown caps Wilco at £1 for 50 if great value and my ocd means I tend to buy bottles as I like them all to match so try www.bottlecompanysouth.co.uk

I find their prices very competitive and the service is great.

That's not a bad price, Petrolhead. 50 bottles at 500ml for £21.50 is good and they'fit nicely in the fridge, too. Certainly better than the old whisky bottles:hat:

Latest posts

Back