very high SG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve5666

Reaction score
i have just made a new batch of cooper euro and used brew enhancer2 put 900 of that in and 400g of honey. the first reading came out at 1.062 this seems high doesnt it or will the final gravity be around 1.030 im still learning

That does sound quite high, have you brewed it short or as per kit instructions? Try taking another reading
It will finish lower than 1030, most likely somewhere between 1010 and 1014
:cheers:

i'd guess you just got a lot of the syrup in your measurement if it's that high. nothing to worry about, kits can't really go wrong unless you add the wrong amount of water.

FG will be around 1.010 - 1.015. honey will ferment out entirely so don't worry about the fg being high.

I`ve just made a bitter which has an SG of 1060. I purposely made it strong because i like my beers with a kick, & i made it to 4 gallons.

Would i be right in saying then when using a kit if you use less water you get a higher SG but end up with a higher ABV%?
I have read through the instructions on my next kit and it said suitable for 40 or 36 pints. I am new to the game so didn't know what this was about.
Can it be done with all ales or only with the ones that state this on the instructions?
Thanks.

Wheels said:
Would i be right in saying then when using a kit if you use less water you get a higher SG but end up with a higher ABV%?
I have read through the instructions on my next kit and it said suitable for 40 or 36 pints. I am new to the game so didn't know what this was about.
Can it be done with all ales or only with the ones that state this on the instructions?
Thanks.

Correct, a less water will give a more concentrated wort & therefore will have a higher SG (wort = beer before its fermented), this will indeed lead to a higher ABV, as there is relatively more fermentable sugar.
Less water will also give you more flavour in the end beer - again because it's more concentrated. However Im not sure how noticable the diffence between 36pints and 40 pints would be.

Yeah, a lot of people brew short on purpose. Good way to account for the lack of body when using a lot of top up water.

Sparge Pervert (lol) - apparently it's pretty substantial, but just going on word of mouth!

Thanks guys. I'll go for the 36 and let you know how it goes.
I get a bit anal when it comes to instructions... I have to follow them to the letter but i have to break the mould at some piont and at 46 it might as well be now.
:cheers:

Back