Vinometers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinchy

Reaction score
Can we trust the results from a vinometer in terms of %?

I recently completed a batch of wine and due to not having a hydrometer (stood on it), was unable to take an O.G. When i came to bottle it i tested it with a new vinometer, it said 15%!

I have since done a test where i have taken the O.G. and F.G. and done the usual sums and then compared that to the vinometer reading, the vinometer always reads about 2% more than doing it the sums way. So which is the more accurate?

Never heard of a vinometer but a quick google doesn't make very positive reading.

Apparently because it works via capillary action wines with sugars still in them can muck up the readings and they are a bugger to clean.

you're right about the cleaning..... have to fill the little top bit and suck it through so you know all the tube is full :sick: , then leave to soak in sterilising stuff.

When it comes to rinsing....same thing but sucking through clean water not so much of an issue. I tend to clean the sucking end with alcohol swabs (the ones used on your skin before an injection).

Incidentally, can anyone think of any reason why i couldn't wipe down things like thermometers and hydrometers after use with alcohol wipes (70%) instead of keep sterilizing (if i'm using it on the same batch of wine/cider)? These are the ones we wipe down medical equipment and surfaces with prior to using.

The hydrometer will give you the most accurate alcohol percentage. Points to remember about the hydrometer:

1. It is calibrated for a certain temperature (should be shown on the hydro or instructions)
2. If reading at a different temperature, be sure to correct
3. Sometimes the paper scale inside the hyrdometer can slip, giving false readings - now and again it's worth checking the calibration reads 1.000 in water (at the advertised temperature). The hydrometer can be tapped lightly on a hard surface to adjust the position of the paper scale.

We use the hydrometer to measure the change in specific gravity (SG) from that of before the start of fermentation - that is we are measuring how much sugar (relatively high SG) has been turned into alcohol (relatively low SG) by those hungry yeasty beasties. There will be all sorts of stuff in the finished wine or beer (including unfermented sugars) that increase the SG, but it doesn't matter, because (for alcohol percentage calculations) we are only really bothered about the change in SG.

commsbiff said:
The hydrometer can be tapped lightly on a hard surface to adjust the position of the paper scale.

Thanks for that tip, I have two Hydrometers, both of them give different readings in water, I'll try and tapping them about tomorrow to see if I can them to give a proper reading.

shadow47 said:
commsbiff said:
The hydrometer can be tapped lightly on a hard surface to adjust the position of the paper scale.

Thanks for that tip, I have two Hydrometers, both of them give different readings in water, I'll try and tapping them about tomorrow to see if I can them to give a proper reading.
Be careful though - smashed hydrometers are of use to no one.

My very first batch of wine was ruined this way.

Made it up in a bucket and just dropped it in.
Bottom broke off releasing all those lead pellets and glass into the wine.

Latest posts

Back