Virgin Brewer from Malvern

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalvernDan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

So during our annual Christmas family get together myself and 2 of my brothers agreed to each brew our own beers and then to arrange a little beer tasting event.

One of the brothers has brewed before, albeit around 10 years ago, and my other brother has received his first kit, Brewmaker IPA (Lakeland starter kit) for Christmas.

For me this is the first time I have brewed anything and I have decided to start with St Peters Ruby Red. In the winter I enjoy darker beers and I have never drunk lagers, I have been a beer drinker from day one and coming from the midlands Bank's Bitter was my first beer at 18 (ahem).

As you can imagine living in Malvern we have an abundance of pubs nearly all of them selling beers from microbrewery's and so I am lucky enough to always find a good beer in a pub.

For me brewing for myself is really about being able to do it successfully and then maybe going on to experiment with ingredients. I am never worried about trying different beers and flavours and so I am looking forward to the adventures ahead.

So our first brew night should be in the next few days as the kits have been ordered so I shall let you know my experiences as the brew begins.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome! I often enjoy the beer in Malvern (Nags Head in particular!).

St Peter's Ruby Red was one of my first beers, and it turned out to be a very fine one. My only counsel to a new brewer (especially one in friendly competition with his brothers), would be to allow the beer to condition in the bottle. My Ruby Red improved vastly up to the 3 month mark (when it was all gone!).

It is, however, very hard to be patient with your first brew.

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Dan & welcome,

The ruby red was my first brew and turned out to be the best kit I made before being drawn to the dark side. Good luck with it and as Martin said, be patient. But also be very, very meticulous with your cleaning and sanitising.

Enjoy and don't be surprised if you get completely hooked.

Thanks all for welcoming me and for the comments of advice. I have been having a good read through the forum and watching a few videos on Youtube, there are some crazy brewers on there!

So the 3 brothers now have all their kit and we are trying to arrange a brew day/night for us all to brew together even though we are all in different parts of the country...skype is a wonderful thing :)

So I shall report back on the first part of the process soon.

Thanks

Dan

Latest posts

Back