Want a stonger brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie

Reaction score
I've brewed a couple a 40 pint kits, had a problem with the last one as I overtighten the keg cap and have just sorted the seal and added more primming sugar to start it off again. I was wondering if you could beef up the ABV up a bit on the basic kits, I have read that you can add less water (36pints) but I would like some advice on the best methods to do this. I don't want head banging brew just good tasting ale at around 5.5 to 6% ABV. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

hi, i dont have as much experience as alot of the guys on here, i have however cut down a Youngs definative Bitter kit to 33ltrs, it was damn good!!

good luck

jon

hi, yes all i did was cut down the added cold water so the final count was 33ltrs, everything else was the same, i didnt unfortunatly take readings for that particular brew, it was strong, and full of body, it would probably be alright at 34-35 pints if anything 33 was a little too strong for some of my mates!!

You can increase the ABV by adding some sugar.

Roughly speaking, 500g sugar will give you an extra 1% ABV per 5 gallon brew.

Beware though that putting lots of sugar in will affect the body and texture of the brew.

If it's a 40 pint ale kit where you would normally add a kilo of sugar, you can boost the strength by adding extra fermentables in the form of a dextrose / dry spray malt mix. So instead of a kilo of sugar you could use, say, 750g of dex (glucose) plus 750 of dry spray malt. That would give you a bit more body as well, and you still get the 40 pints.
The extra malt could give a bit of sweetness so you could also look at adding some dry hop pellets (say 15 grams of Goldings etc etc) - boil them for 15 minutes in some water and strain into the fermenter towards the end of fermentation - to make the beer more 'balanced'.

Thanks for your help guys' I'll try the dex and spray malt with some extra hops, lets see how it goes!

Latest posts

Back