• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

[WANTED] Hard drive magnet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian I have seen members discuss these magnets here in the forum. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neodymium...hash=item3d18daaded:m:mR7m8n4yLfUd6K9xY9rtw8w

Hi Bri,
I've got some of these for my stirplate project but I've just been to get them and they've disappeared! I've put them in a safe place (so safe, I can't remember where).
I'm sure there are more than I need, so if you don't get any joy with the hard drive magnet, get in touch with me - that's assuming I find them!
Colin

I read a post last night where he said he used 8 magnets stacked per side and managed to degas wine in a demijohn. I have ordered more from China. The last lot got stuck to something and lost. They sell them in the UK but obviously more expensive.

Aye magnets...me...glue...one hand..and losing the bloody magnets or superglue myself isn't a good days faffing on!
I've ordered 5 larger magnets now!!
I'll try again..if I fail again...bloody scream! Lol

use epoxy and a spacer to keep the magnets the set distance apart as even with 5minute setting epoxy the 2 magnets can draw themselves together..

my take on the solution was is basic using blutak to stick the fan to the psu (also used to control my brew pumps.) and blutak spacers/feet to sit the flask on.

I also extended the platform for mounting the magnets with an old brass washer i had at hand, a small marketing cd/dvd could also be used. this allows spacing the magnets wider apart providing for clearer distinction between their magnetic fields.
Its mass also acts as a speed governer as a side effect,

As you can see by the tracks left, i didnt use a spacer and my magnets did draw themselves together in the 5 minute epoxy, thankfully not too far off centre to require a redo ;)
10783186763_5c1e9f011b.jpg

10783064414_c3bb1f7927.jpg

if you got a old hard drive then you can use remove the magnets from it
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzPt18aE_0[/ame]

Hallow m8,
I'll ask my pal that makes my pc'...here's got a loads of spares! But I reckong I'll just get lucky on my second project! The Mk II is going to be an project one..just in the steves thread and on all the YouTube vids...why not! Practice makes perfect! And a spare one if the MkI packs up :-)

Back