Weird underwater krausen??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveElder

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Long time lurker here but infrequent poster.

I brewed a single hop Galaxy AG on Friday (Pale Ale Malt, Crystal Malt and approx 100g of Galaxy) and it seems to have the oddest Krausen. Looks O.K on top and smells fine but i've never seen such a large underwater element to the Krausen.

Has anyone seen this before??

Attachments

• IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 96
That looks like cold break to me did you pour all the trub in from the boil?

Thanks for that... Its definately a possibility. I drained from the tap in the bottom of keggle and went through a false bottom but I wasn't watching. The keggle was pretty 'dry' by the time it finished so some of trub must have gone into the fermenter.

Is there likely to be effect an the finished beer?

Thanks for that... Its definately a possibility. I drained from the tap in the bottom of keggle and went through a false bottom but I wasn't watching. The keggle was pretty 'dry' by the time it finished so some of trub must have gone into the fermenter.

Is there likely to be effect an the finished beer?
No, it’ll be fine you’ll just have a little thicker layer of trub than usual. I’ve read (on here so probably BS) that trub can act as yeast nutrient so might even help your brew.

No problem with that a lot of AG brewers pour in all the trub it will settle pout and not affect the clarity of the final product

Excellent! Thanks guys. I can relax and enjoy the last few hours of the weekend now!

Steve

Latest posts

Back