well i bought another kit to try

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobgoblin

Reaction score
i bought a evil dog ipa

12419027_945422428879044_130129049875782727_o.jpg

12489307_945988018822485_970122672528911984_o.jpg

This was my first kit. It was very nice. Not instantly but after a while once flavour develops was very good. But very strong. Got me hammered on a poker night. Not ideal for playing cards. Needless to say I lost but don't remember much about it. Bonus!! I followed the instructions to the letter worked out well. Good luck.

i was lucky enough to receive one of these from Santa recently, a nice kit. Went to work on Boxing Day and it didn't take long to start bubbling, sadly though I only managed an OG of 1.055 or so... However it's in the keg after a reading of 1.012 with the addition of some spray malt from Wilko's which I didn't find it that easy to use TBH, maybe sugar would be easier? Being impatient I tried a couple of half pints a little earlier, poured very clear, tasted really good albeit with a bit of a tang but I reckon it's going to be a real cracker in a few weeks, can't wait!

I stared one of these kits on Sunday afternoon, hadn't done a kit before as I we straight to AG (thanks to this forum) but fancied giving a kit a try just to see how it came out.

Very straight forward to use, hit he OG bang on at 1.061 I think it was and was bubbling away before the sun wet down. Be good to see how it turns out.

Just checked on mine for the evening and looks like it's getting a bit over excited
CUebnY

oh dear blow out iv not started mine yet as i need to get some equipment as soon as i can and starsan

Looking at it putting it in my 25ltr fermenter from Wilko when the kit is 23 litres may have be a little ambitious. Should have used a bigger barrel :lol:

Iv never brewed this but sonnal gave me a mini keg of it. The hangover was the worst iv ever had. Infact my head hurt that bad it woke me at 3am :'( this beer could not be more suitably named. Personally I wouldn't be ever drinking this again :(

my list of things to get are so far
25L Wide Neck Wine Fermenter With LCD Temperature Indicator For Winemaking £19.80

Star San Five Star HB Home Brew Beer Wine Cleaner Steriliser Sanitiser No Rinse £16.45

80 Bottle Rinser Cleaner & Drainer Tree For Easy Home Brew Bottling Sterilising £31.95

Judge Deep Fry / Sugar Thermometer £ 7.95

I wouldn't.
Because of the 2" top opening, you can't get in to clean it properly, to aerate the wort, and to dry hop if you go that way, amongst other reasons,.
Good for keeping your beer in rather than using bottles, or possibly for conditioning, but not for a primary fermentation.

Not sure why you need a sugar thermometer. For homebrewing you need something that will measure temperatures reasonably accurately in the range 0-100*C. I use a cheap digital thermometer from ebay about £2.50 which works fine for me. Others use more sophisticated thermometers which cost more but do the same job.

Not sure why you need a sugar thermometer. For homebrewing you need something that will measure temperatures reasonably accurately in the range 0-100*C. I use a cheap digital thermometer from ebay about �£2.50 which works fine for me. Others use more sophisticated thermometers which cost more but do the same job, possibly more accurately.

the reason i asked about the barrel is i have 3 of them and my fermenter is only 23ltr and the kit makes 23ltr so my fermenter is to small guess il have to buy another ill look at the thermometer thanks

the reason i asked about the barrel is i have 3 of them and my fermenter is only 23ltr and the kit makes 23ltr so my fermenter is to small guess il have to buy another ill look at the thermometer thanks
Is your fermenter 23 litres to the brim or to a mark about 3" or so down. If the latter you can brew 23 litres in it OK since 'surprisingly' that's what they are for! If you have a particularly vigorous primary then the krausen may hit the lid and want to get out but you can get round that by using a blow off tube (look this up).
The other option is to brew your kit short which means it turns out slightly stronger with less volume. That's what I and others do . Typically I do 21/22 litres and even 19 litres with Coopers Stout which means everything usually stays in the FV.

Latest posts

Back