Weyermann vs Fawcett Malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello!

Just out of interest, is there any stark difference in quality between Weyermann and Fawcett malts? I have noticed that Weyermann produce is about twice the price of the Fawcett equivalent. Does Weyermann offer a greater range?

The clue is in the name really Weryerman = German . . .from Bamberg IIRC . . . Fawcetts Yorkshire.

If you want to really make an authentic pilsner then using the proper product helps.

Aleman said:
The clue is in the name really Weryerman = German . . .from Bamberg IIRC . . . Fawcetts Yorkshire.

If you want to really make an authentic pilsner then using the proper product helps.

Great! Hey, can you get Wae'ayeman to make Newcy Brown? :D

Thomas Kraus-Weyermann has recently toured Australia and New Zealand on a lecture / promotion tour. I caught up with him at the Wellington NZ Beervana festival last year and he did a fantastic lecture. Basically they are excellent for genuine German and Czech pilsener malts. Their German malts are contract grown by Bavarian farmers in the same region as the Maltings at Bamberg. The Weyermanns have bought an old floor maltings in the Czech republic and malt Bohemian Pilsener malt there - hand turned etc. They are passionate about malts, the family members can't go to work at the maltings until they have gained a degree through Weihenstephan brewery then they have to move into a block of apartments at the maltings themselves in case they have to dash down to' t' mill at midnight.

Their other strength is their incredible range of spec grains which IMHO are the best I have ever used. Dunno about doing a Newkie Broon, but my house beer is nowadays a Yorkshire Red :cool: :cool: Made with Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise, Wey. Carared and Wey. Caraaroma and Wyeast West Yorkshire 1469 and it's a perfect marriage. :drink:

yorkshireredLarge.jpg

Nice looking pint Bribie :thumb:

Am planning a Bohemian Pilsner, and will be using Weyermann floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt, £1.80/kg from the Malt Miller

:cheers:

Back