What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Sheep Milk Stout

20231126_153657.jpg

It's meant to be a dwarf variety of FG but my home grown PD is much more orangey than any FG I've bought.
Hi @Cwrw666 and @pilgrimhudd .
I bought some First Gold to brew with, liked it, then whilst doing a fair bit of searching for a dwarf hop to try growing my own garden came across it again under the name Prima Donna.
Essentially, it is same thing, with different names.
First Gold is the name of the hops you buy to brew with, and Prima Donna is the name of the plant we now buy to grow them from.
Bred as dwarf variety at Wye College in 1985 then released for sale in 1995/6, It/They were bred from a cross of Whitbread Goldings and a dwarf wild male hedgerow hop.
In 2003 First Gold as a plant became more common, as it no longer had Plant breeder’s rights and was rebranded for sale as Prima Donna. Something to do with copyright law.
Someone else may have more authoritative info, but I think that's pretty close.
I get a rich golden marmalade aroma and flavour from them, but each year can be different here in the UK depending on the weather.

Hi @Cwrw666 and @pilgrimhudd .
I bought some First Gold to brew with, liked it, then whilst doing a fair bit of searching for a dwarf hop to try growing my own garden came across it again under the name Prima Donna.
Essentially, it is same thing, with different names.
First Gold is the name of the hops you buy to brew with, and Prima Donna is the name of the plant we now buy to grow them from.
Bred as dwarf variety at Wye College in 1985 then released for sale in 1995/6, It/They were bred from a cross of Whitbread Goldings and a dwarf wild male hedgerow hop.
In 2003 First Gold as a plant became more common, as it no longer had Plant breeder’s rights and was rebranded for sale as Prima Donna. Something to do with copyright law.
Someone else may have more authoritative info, but I think that's pretty close.
I get a rich golden marmalade aroma and flavour from them, but each year can be different here in the UK depending on the weather.

Yes I quite often brew a bitter with first gold and as you say, get a nice marmalade flavour from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back