What beer kit is the best for brewing Special Brew, Tennents Super style lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you actually want a clone of the beer you describe,a proper lager or just very strong light ale/lager ish beer?
Making proper lager takes some special equipment and lots of time.
Making very strong beer can be made very cheaply but won't necessarily taste that good.

Cheers

Clint

Google sugar wine....that sounds equally as exciting! There's a YouTube video I think too...some chap in the states making it...and getting in a state drinking it....

@Benisaacs95
1 x 1.5kg can Wilko Lager
2 x 1lb H&B Liquid Malt
2 kg Dextrose
Safale S-33 High Alcohol Ale Yeast
Brewed to 20 litres will give a target ABV of just under 9%

I wouldn't touch it, but you might if you are serious and intend to brew rocket fuel, so if you do, let us know how it turned out :thumb:

Last edited:
@BarnBrian
1 x 1.5kg can Wilko Lager
2 x 1lb H&B Liquid Malt
2 kg Dextrose
Safale S-33 High Alcohol Ale Yeast
Brewed to 20 litres will give a target ABV of 9%

I wouldn't touch it, but you might if you are serious and intend to brew rocket fuel, so if you do, let us know how it turned out :thumb:

Thats if he's still alive to tell the tale after drinking several pints of the stuff

Another way is to brew a normal lager kit then fortify it with vodka. About 100ml of vodka in a litre of 5% beer will take it up to around 9% and will taste terrible, just like special brew :D

Edit: If you want a really nice strong lager look into a style called doppelbock, though I don't know if you'll get this in kit form.

And yet elsewhere on the forum people are Brewing Turbo Cider. :D

Anyway I believe the strong larger choice for discerning **** head is now some of the Polish ones. Some of which actually taste ok!

And yet elsewhere on the forum people are Brewing Turbo Cider. :D

Yeah but not to 9-10%, typically around 4.5-5%. It's called turbo cider because of the ease with which you can make it not because of its strength ;)

To the OP, good luck with you quest, closest thing you'd get in normal kit form is this at 6% - http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/produ...its-hammer-of-thor-special-gravity-lager.html

Maybe it could be beefed up with some extra sugar / spray malt and maybe swap out the yeast for something with a higher alcohol tolerance.

might be best to go down the extract route, won't be cheap to make but cheaper than buying it. I did two extract lager brews over winter...I used a combination of extra light extract (dme) and pale malt extract. You could use all extra light extract (dme) to say around the 8% mark then add sugar to bulk up the ABV and lighten the body slightly. I used s-23 lager yeast but you could go with a high alcohol ale yeast like S-33 or T-58. brewers friend has a calculator for working out recipes ect. :thumb:

Yeah but not to 9-10%, typically around 4.5-5%. It's called turbo cider because of the ease with which you can make it not because of its strength ;)

My bad. I must have got the wrong end of the stick and though it was about trying to emulate K Cider type drinks rather it just being easy to make. Be interesting to see how potent mine ends up as I've used Super Wine Yeast.

Beer that is 9-10% ABV

Can't help with a kit suggestion, but i've made beers up to 12 and a bit percent.

I reckon 4kg of extra light dme and a 450g can of golden syrup with 50g of saaz hops and mangrove jacks m42 yeast.

boil 500g of dme in 2 litres of water and chuck the saaz in and boil for 30 mins. so you will need to do a little boil to get your bitterness. strain hops out into fv and add the rest of the dme and the golden syrup to the fv. top up short say to 20 litres.

making strong beer is quite easy those beers you mention are quite syrupy so you dont want a super strong yeast.

sanitise everything. you'll need to leave that ferment for 3 weeks at least maybe 4 if your temps are a bit low.

Actually if you put 3xCoopers lager kits plus 1kg of DME and brewed short to 20L it should come out at about 9%

I did 3 x Wilko Golden Lagers plus 1.1 kg of homemade Candi Sugar with Belle Saison yeast. Saison yeast can attenuate up into the 90%'s.

It was never very good, though, not at any point during the year or so it took to get through it. Did the job of making the drinker very drunk very quickly.

I got much better results using 2 kits with the Belle Saison @ 6% or so.

I did 3 x Wilko Golden Lagers plus 1.1 kg of homemade Candi Sugar with Belle Saison yeast. Saison yeast can attenuate up into the 90%'s.

It was never very good, though, not at any point during the year or so it took to get through it. Did the job of making the drinker very drunk very quickly.

I got much better results using 2 kits with the Belle Saison @ 6% or so.

Maybe thats all the OP wants?

Latest posts

Back