What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy
Would you recommend the Leyland HBS, since Brew2Bottle closed in Northwich I do not have a shop which is near. I've tried the Bolton one but wasn't impressed when I found out he wasn't exchanging CO2 and sold me out of date hops.

Hi pal. Yes definitely! It's a great place and the couple who own it are very friendly and knowledgeable. A lot more stuff stocked in Leyland too. You just have to remember the opening times. Closed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and open Thursday Friday and Saturday. Not sure about Co2 as don't have that technology yet Lol

Last Friday I had a CBA (cant be Ar$ed) with all grain day and fancied a Christmas ale so checked out the extract kits on offer. Didn't want overly ginger flavour as I prefer that in Summer and was aiming for more of a Hoegaarden/mulled wine affair.
Wilkos had one of their payday sales on so hoovered up a Winter ale twocan kit (cinnamon apple flavouring). Its a 32pint kit so ideal for the corny, Bumped up the strength a smidge with 100g of brewing sugar I had lying around and set her running. Nice gentle airlock action after 12 hrs through to day 4)Added the spice flavour sachet on day 4 as per. (Also picked up a Woodfordes Wherry and a dark fruits cider kit for the next CBA day whenever that be. athumb..)

Tuesday I knocked up a batch of my Peronicloni as the temp in my garage has dropped to a stable 12deg.

To make 20ltrs
3KG Pils Malt
.75KG Flaked Maize
150min steep @150c
60min boil
10g Magnum @60min
8g Saaz @15 + 1 tab Britewort
8g Saaz at Flameout
Crossmyloof Kölsch yeast.

Makes a really nice crisp lager, good head retention.

Today I revisited the Xmas ale. surprisingly nice flavour out of the turkey baster (well it is a Christmas ale) but not quite spicy enough so popped in a Schwartz mulled wine T Bag on a string and will revisit in a few days.
Think it will be a good brew for Christmas afternoon watching The Italian Job.

Brewed a Winter Spiced Ale, to be ready in time for Christmas (I hope). Had a nice brewday, until I noticed after I transferred all the beer into the fermenter that there was an old hop or something gross stuck in the wort chiller line. So might not come out okay. Oh well. Shrug.

If you used a yeast starter the hungry buggers should hopefully devour any less welcome critters.

I'm brewing Arctic Ale it's a Norse Pilsner.
5000g Pilsner malt
200g Honey Malt
CML Hog Norsk yeast
50g Styrian Wolf
25g Rakau

Today's brew was inspired by (ie mostly copied from) @An Ankoù's Red IPA that placed second in July's forum competition, which I was privileged to judge. I've made a few changes to the malt bill just to suit my own tastes. I've added a little Munich and wheat malts, which I tend to add to most of my recipes, and some caramunich because I just wanted a little more caramel coming through. If it's anywhere near as good as An's then I'll be happy acheers.

Red X IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.5
Total Grain (kg): 6.0
Total Hops (g): 320
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.5 %
Colour (SRM): 18
Bitterness (IBU): 59 (Tinseth)
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Red-X Malt (83%)
0.500 kg Munich I (8%)
0.200 kg Wheat Malt (4%)
0.300 kg Caramunich I (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Magnum @ 60 Minutes

25 g Amarillo @ 15 Minutes
25 g Cascade @ 15 Minutes
25 g Mosaic @ 15 Minutes

25 g Amarillo Whirlpool
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
25 g MosaicWhirlpool

50 g Amarillo 3 Days Dry Hop
50 g Cascade 3 Days Dry Hop
50 g Mosaic 3 Days Dry Hop

Notes
--------------
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with CML Pale Ale Yeast

Today's brew was inspired by (ie mostly copied from) @An Ankoù's Red IPA that placed second in July's forum competition, which I was privileged to judge. I've made a few changes to the malt bill just to suit my own tastes. I've added a little Munich and wheat malts, which I tend to add to most of my recipes, and some caramunich because I just wanted a little more caramel coming through. If it's anywhere near as good as An's then I'll be happy acheers.

Red X IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.5
Total Grain (kg): 6.0
Total Hops (g): 320
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.5 %
Colour (SRM): 18
Bitterness (IBU): 59 (Tinseth)
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Red-X Malt (83%)
0.500 kg Munich I (8%)
0.200 kg Wheat Malt (4%)
0.300 kg Caramunich I (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Magnum @ 60 Minutes

25 g Amarillo @ 15 Minutes
25 g Cascade @ 15 Minutes
25 g Mosaic @ 15 Minutes

25 g Amarillo Whirlpool
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
25 g MosaicWhirlpool

50 g Amarillo 3 Days Dry Hop
50 g Cascade 3 Days Dry Hop
50 g Mosaic 3 Days Dry Hop

Notes
--------------
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with CML Pale Ale Yeast
You're far too kind, Strange Steve, but you've reminded me that I too must get a brew of the original on as soon as we get back from swanning round Carcassonne. The beer down these parts shows little if any improvement on that up north, it's just dearer. Surviving on Pilsner Urquell and Duvel Citra from Monoprix!
I'd be very interested to hear how the recipe modifications work out. Perhaps a bottle swap might be arranged, postage permitting?

Brewed a Czech Pilsner adapted from the GH book. Efficiency went a bit haywire so it looks like it will end up at 6% instead of the intended 4.5%!

Brewed my standard porter/ stout, don't know how to classify it. consists of Pale malt, Vienna, oats, crystal, chocolate malt and a little roasted barley. Hopped with magnum to about 44 ibu. Og of 1.066

Latest posts

Back