What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve started a Czech Pale lager this morning. Fairly simple recipe of 4kg pilsner malt, 15g Tettnanger and 20g saaz for 60mins, 30g saaz for 10mins. I’m trying having my BrewDevil on the floor because I always seem to try and tip the grain bucket over when I lift it out if I use it at worktop level.

It’ll ferment for a week and a half at 11C then a week and a half at 16C, then lager in the FV for 4 weeks before bottling.

When lagering do you leave in primary FV or transfer off to a secondary?

Just in primary. I use my Fermentasaurus so all the trub collects in the bottle and there’s not much contact between the beer and the yeast/trub. It’s worked well in the other 2 lagers I’ve made.

If just standard buckets, would you recommend taking off trub?

If just standard buckets, would you recommend taking off trub?
My personal opinion is that yeast hydrolysis isn’t as big an issue for home brewers as is made out, especially since you are talking less than a month of lagering for a pale 4%ish session lager) but I’m fairly new to brewing lagers (I did one last summer, and this is my second since lockdown) so wouldn’t want to be giving advice.

My personal opinion is that yeast hydrolysis isn’t as big an issue for home brewers as is made out, especially since you are talking less than a month of lagering for a pale 4%ish session lager) but I’m fairly new to brewing lagers (I did one last summer, and this is my second since lockdown) so wouldn’t want to be giving advice.
Cheers

I tipped about 3 litres of wort all over the utility room a few brews back. It’s not so much the lifting of the basket it was seeing where the rests were for balancing it on the rails for sparging.

It was obviously easier in my old BIAB system as the wort all drains out of the bag when you lift.
yeah thats exactly the problem. thanks this motivated me to lower this by 15cm or so. seems like a good height to pull the basket from the floor with two hands.
20200510_140346.jpg

I brewed 19 litres of Pilsner Urquell
5000g Bohemian Pilsner malt
200g Carapils
50g Saaz 4.7% AA 60 minutes
30g Saaz 2.2% 30 minutes
10g Saaz 2.2% 10 minutes
W34/70 fermenting at 14C
OG 1050 but low eff% at 62%
thats a pretty simple recipe for urquell. i kind of like it. have you done it before?

you didnt triple decoct it or anything did you?

No single mash bit too hot to be honest at 68C might be a reason for lower than expected Efficiency. Some recipes only use Pilsner malt whilst some use crystal and melanoidin, yes my second go at it but now I've got a fridge to lager.

Cabin Fever Altbier

Volume 25L
Target OG 1050
IBU 37

2.0Kg Munich 1
2.0Kg Munich 2
1.6Kg Pilsner
0.25Kg Caramunich 1
0.25Kg Caramunich 2
70g Carafa 2

Wyeast 1007

Brewed this on Sunday, pitched a 2L starter at 14C and it's got off to a good start, a big rocky krausen today.
The wort wasn't quite as dark as I expected. I used a chunk of pilsner malt because I was worried about efficiency of just using Munich, but hit target gravity anyway. I would probably use more carafa next time or less pilsner malt. I might still do a cold steep to increase the colour.

Brewed a Kolsch and a "sort of" Baltic Porter, both from GH bible. "Sort of" Baltic Porter because I switched out the yeast to US-05 as I dont have fermentation fridge and can only ferment at room temp. Same reason I wanted to try a Kolsch. Baltic Porter also only a half batch as I dont think the full grain bill would have fit in the mash tun.

First time trying both so hoping for good things :beer1:

Had a few pints of my first beer (coopers brew A pale ale), it nice and clear and a great pint... a major success, lets hope the next one is as good :)

Brewed a MJ juicy session IPA Wednesday and going to add some extra hops, maybe 25g of Simcoe and Cascade as a dry hop.

Brewed a MJ Munich lager yesterday and used Saflager S-33 instead of the kit yeast as I'm trying my hand at lagering, going to dry hop this with Saaz.

I brewed an ESB this morning, after being inspired by reading one of Drunkula's posts. I think I must have been a little over generous when weighing out the crystal malts, as it turned out a lot darker than expected. Had no Goldings, so hopped with Challenger, Fuggles and Willamette. Hit my OG bang on at 1.056, and pitched with MJ Liberty Bell.

Latest posts

Back