What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a small batch of Bitter, it's been a while since I last did one.

Extra pale 87%
Crystal 50 7.5%
Wheat Malt 4%
Roasted Barley 1.5%

Challenger (FW,0), Cascade (15,0) and First Gold (15,0).

MJ Liberty Bell and Empire Ale yeasts.

Giving the new open FV a run out.

Attachments

• DSC_0083-02.jpeg
    DSC_0083-02.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 70

Extra pale 87%
Crystal 50 7.5%
Wheat Malt 4%
Roasted Barley 1.5%

Report back on the what mixing LB & EA turn out like. Did you make you open FV?

Extra pale 87%
Crystal 50 7.5%
Wheat Malt 4%
Roasted Barley 1.5%

Good combo for the hops. Never thought of trying cascade in an English bitter. It should go well with the orangey-honeyness of the first gold and the liberty bell for a fruity bitter.

Did an IPA today based on GH's 60 minute IPA. I mainly changed the hops but I did use GH's hop profile. The hops I used were Ahtanum, Sorachi Ace and Bramling Cross. For malts I used 5,5 kg pale malt, 1kg extra pale malt and 1 kg of torrefied wheat.

Report back on the what mixing LB & EA turn out like. Did you make you open FV?
Will do. Went for 60% Liberty Bell, 40% Empire in the end.

Yes, the FV is a small furlough project. The main vessel is a 200mm deep 1/1 catering Gastronorm which gives 28L capacity.

Sadfield, is that a homebrewer's version of a Yorkshire Square?
Not a Yorkshire Square as that requires recirculating the wort and spraying back to the top. It is however a home brew of many other traditional open top fermenters, providing a greater surface area to volume than you get in a taller cylindrical FV. The theory is it allows greater off gassing of CO2 which promotes ester formation.

Made a 6l batch of a chocolate milk stout I'm developing. My second attempt.
70% efficiency, 39 IBU, 74 ebc, 4.9% abv, 1.065 og, 1.020 est fg.

75% pale malt
20% pale choc malt (525 ebc)
5% lactose
5.5g pacific gem 14.6%. 60mins
2g pacific gem 14.6% 10 mins
BRY-97 west coast ale yeast

I’ve started a Czech Pale lager this morning. Fairly simple recipe of 4kg pilsner malt, 15g Tettnanger and 20g saaz for 60mins, 30g saaz for 10mins. I’m trying having my BrewDevil on the floor because I always seem to try and tip the grain bucket over when I lift it out if I use it at worktop level.

It’ll ferment for a week and a half at 11C then a week and a half at 16C, then lager in the FV for 4 weeks before bottling.

I’ve started a Czech Pale lager this morning. Fairly simple recipe of 4kg pilsner malt, 15g Tettnanger and 20g saaz for 60mins, 30g saaz for 10mins. I’m trying having my BrewDevil on the floor because I always seem to try and tip the grain bucket over when I lift it out if I use it at worktop level.

It’ll ferment for a week and a half at 11C then a week and a half at 16C, then lager in the FV for 4 weeks before bottling.
yeah thats smart, i always have difficulty/make a mess dumping the grains into a plastic bucket. its probably not the safest thing either standing on a chair pulling the grain bucket out as well. i have a small stand that i use but think i might lower it some more.

yeah thats smart, i always have difficulty/make a mess dumping the grains into a plastic bucket. its probably not the safest thing either standing on a chair pulling the grain bucket out as well. i have a small stand that i use but think i might lower it some more.
I tipped about 3 litres of wort all over the utility room a few brews back. It’s not so much the lifting of the basket it was seeing where the rests were for balancing it on the rails for sparging.

It was obviously easier in my old BIAB system as the wort all drains out of the bag when you lift.

I’ve just found an extra pack of Tettnang in my hop/yeast fridge so I’ve tweaked my recipe to move my saaz to 25g each for 5 and 10mins and Tettnang only for 60mins to bring my IBUs to just below 30.

Back