What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I bottled my bretted Belgian stout/quad thing, 13 weeks after adding the brett to the secondary and FG is 1.010 from 1.093 meaning a fairly serious 10.9% abv.

Naturally I drank the sample and I don't think I've ever tasted a beer like this before, it's a full on bombardment on the palate with brown sugar, banana, spice, roastiness, alcohol, and tangy, earthy funk from the brett. It's an odd and interesting combo that could be terrible or brilliant, only time will tell, but I reckon it could turn out to be a good Christmas sipper.

Today I brewed something close to Greg Hughes's Bier de Garde

4kg Maris Otter
1.5 kg Vienna
500g Aromatic
500g Biscuit

Mashed at 65c for 60 mins

50g of Brewers gold (4.5%) added at 60 mins
35g of Tettnang (4%) added at 5 mins
25g of Tettnang (4%) added at the end of the boil

Expected gravity was 1.065 (according to the recipe, but Brewer's friend put it at 1.056) I ended up with 22.5 litres at 1.062 in my FV

Rehydrated and pitched a pack of Belle Saison yeast, and am fermenting at 22c

Should come out at around 7%, but from what I've read Belle Saison seems to get the FG down to around 1.005 so could come out closer to 7.5%

Brewday seemed to go almost flawlessly.... except for using a weaker than expected bin bag to put the used grain into... which promptly ripped and made one hell of a mess (should have taken a photo) as the grain went everywhere... but that won't affect the beer.. so who cares?

Looking forward to this one.

Mixed fruit wine thrown together as these have been in my freezer for months so thought I would try something with them.
1kg of mixed strawberries and blueberries
400g of blueberries
480g of sweet pitted cherries
Placed in a 5lt pot with a litre of water, brought to a simmer and mashed the fruit and shall simmer for an hour, cool, strain to demijohn then top up with apple juice and test SG before adding additional sugar.
Going for around 14%abv.

A 4L batch of an El Dorado Smash (well it’s 5L in the fermentor but since I always seem to loose far to much to trub 4l seems more accurate.

This is my first time using El Dorado, and my first attempt at a 30 minute boil on an all grain batch.

1 KG Maris Otter mashed at 68 degrees In 6L water for 40 minutes (BIAB)
Dunk sparge, with 2 L water giving a pre boil volume of 7L
3g El Dorado added at 30 minutes
3g El Dorado added at 10 minutes
9g El Dorado added at 5 minutes
IBU per brewers friend of 52.12

Now in the fermentor to cool, and am hoping it will come out around 1.038 and ferment down to about 1.008 or so giving a ABV of about 3.8% I.e. hopefully a nice refreshing beer for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

I am really hoping this will turn out well as the 30 minute boil makes for a really quick brew day started at 6:30 and was finished and cleaned up by 8:30.

Trying out an English Brown/Amber (depending on the final colour) ale today.

10l Batch
1.6kg Maris Otter
200g caramalt
100g medium crystal
30g roasted barley
5g magnum @60
10g EKG @10
10g Fuggles @10
Wyeast 1318 London 3 yeast
O.G. 1.048

I'm hoping to get about 4.7% out of this.
IMG_20200905_092719.jpg
IMG_20200905_093236.jpg
IMG_20200905_131019.jpg

What temperature are you going to add your dry hop. I would normally dry hop at 19 two or three days before bottling. Or if I am cold crashing I would remove the hops completely

What temperature are you going to add your dry hop. I would normally dry hop at 19 two or three days before bottling. Or if I am cold crashing I would remove the hops completely
I am going to dry hop at 4c for this batch and leave it in for 2-3 days before bottling. I normally do about 5 days at 17-19c so will be interested to see if there is a benefit in doing it colder.

Meant to brew up a session pale ale and ended with middle of the road version at 1.052, supposedly its 100% efficiency with 1.8kg of grain in 11l? Is this possible? I double checked all the weights too.

Did a bit of mixology today

2 litres of freeze-fractionated-fortified tea and raisin wine at 24% abv (with half a teaspoom of citric acid added) mixed with 2 litres of freeze-fractionated-fortified supermarket blackcurrant jam wine at 24% abv with nothing added.

Mixed together. About 4 litres at 24% abv of the stuff altogether from an initial brew of 9 litres at 14% abv

Genuinely tastes amazing. Like a blackcurrant port. The colour of mauve.

Cost = about 5 quid in total.

Last edited:
I thought it was about time I jumped on the Saison! bandwagon so currently got this mashing. It's the first time I've ever used a dry yeast for a saison but I've been told Belle Saison is pretty good so thought I'd give it a try.

Saison de Citron
Batch size: 21 L
Expected OG: 1.060
Estimated FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.9%
Colour: 3 SRM
Bitterness: 26 IBU

Fermentables
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg White Sugar

Hops
10 g Zeus at 60 mins
25 g Cascade at 15 mins
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
50 g Citra Dry Hop

Water
90 ppm Calcium
110 ppm Sulphate
110 ppm Chloride
15 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
Zest of 2 lemons added along with dry hops
Fermented with Belle Saison
Pitch at 20°c and ramp up to 27°c over 1 week
Mash schdule:
Dough in at 55°c
62°c for 30 mins
71°c for 30 mins
77°c for 10 mins

Last edited:
Brewed a Belgian Golden Strong (or something along those lines, inspired by La Chouffe) last night:

5kg Pilsner Malt
500g Munich
150g Dextrose

Mashed at 66c for about 90mins (longer than I originally planned)

60min boil with 27IBU from:
50g Styrian Goldings Celia - 60min
25g Saaz - 15min
20g Hallertauer Mittlefruh - 15min
25g Saaz - 1min

I got 1.080 which is a bit more than I'd planned, partly due to the longer mash I guess, and I've made some changes to my process which I failed to account for properly in my beersmith profile.

Now fermenting with WLP550, trying to keep it cool for the first couple of days but currently at 20c - currently outside as I don't have full temperature control, which is probably a mistake for this style :laugh8:

Planning to monitor the temperature and try to ramp slowly after the first 24hrs or so, the starter was explosive and made a right mess, so I've rigged a blow-off tube hoping to avoid mess from the FV!

I thought it was about time I jumped on the Saison! bandwagon so currently got this mashing. It's the first time I've ever used a dry yeast for a saison but I've been told Belle Saison is pretty good so thought I'd give it a try.

Saison de Citron
Batch size: 21 L
Expected OG: 1.060
Estimated FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.9%
Colour: 3 SRM
Bitterness: 26 IBU

Fermentables
4.0 kg Pilsner Malt
0.5 kg Wheat Malt
0.5 kg White Sugar

Hops
10 g Zeus at 60 mins
25 g Cascade at 15 mins
25 g Cascade Whirlpool
50 g Citra Dry Hop

Water
90 ppm Calcium
110 ppm Sulphate
110 ppm Chloride
15 ppm Alkalinity

Notes
Zest of 2 lemons added along with dry hops
Fermented with Belle Saison
Pitch at 20°c and ramp up to 27°c over 1 week
Mash schdule:
Dough in at 55°c
62°c for 30 mins
71°c for 30 mins
77°c for 10 mins
Well just had a rather embarrassing realisation, I had this brew completed, the FV all wrapped up in the fridge at 20c, just finishing up the cleaning, and came across the packet of yeast. On the table. Unopened :?:

Back