What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Citra Saison

4Kg Pale malt
500g Wheat malt
250g Munich malt

250g dextrose added to boil

Water treated with 1/2 a campden tablet

Mashed @ 64°C for 60 mins and mash out @75°C for 10 mins

18g of Magnum @60
20g of Citra @10
30g of Citra @flameout for 20 mins

1/2 a protofloc tab @10 mins

Cooled and pitched MJ M-29@ 22°C and will be raising to 28°C when fermentation starts.

OG 1.050

Saison OG.jpg

Last edited:
Some people may not want to write out a full brewday report but just say what they brewed.

So what did you brew today?

I made a 'bit's and bobs stout' to use up the odds and ends of grain I had
Some people may not want to write out a full brewday report but just say what they brewed.

So what did you brew today?

I made a 'bit's and bobs stout' to use up the odds and ends of grain I had
I have made 5 gallons of Honey Ale

Drinking a Dubbel from @samale . It's lively, lost a little on the kitchen worktop before I could grab my glass😁. Massive head to start with that died down quickly and a thin head still remains hour later. Mahogany brown colour, slightly hazy to start with but I think this was to do with maybe yeast getting kicked up when I opened the bottle. Aroma had dark fruit almost treacle. Flavour is fruity with toffee/molasses. I'm not picking up too much Belgian yeast Character , what yeast did you use?The beer is nice and dry and really enjoyed it.what was the ABV?
IMG_20201111_192131.jpg

Citra Saison

4Kg Pale malt
500g Wheat malt
250g Munich malt

250g dextrose added to boil

Water treated with 1/2 a campden tablet

Mashed @ 64°C for 60 mins and mash out @75°C for 10 mins

18g of Magnum @60
20g of Citra @10
30g of Citra @flameout for 20 mins

1/2 a protofloc tab @10 mins

Cooled and pitched MJ M-29@ 22°C and will be raising to 28°C when fermentation starts.

OG 1.050

View attachment 35392
Not more...?!

Drinking a Dubbel from @samale . It's lively, lost a little on the kitchen worktop before I could grab my glass😁. Massive head to start with that died down quickly and a thin head still remains hour later. Mahogany brown colour, slightly hazy to start with but I think this was to do with maybe yeast getting kicked up when I opened the bottle. Aroma had dark fruit almost treacle. Flavour is fruity with toffee/molasses. I'm not picking up too much Belgian yeast Character , what yeast did you use?The beer is nice and dry and really enjoyed it.what was the ABV?
View attachment 35431
I used WLP 530. I agree I expected more from it. Maybe I should of went with a higher temp. I pitched at 18 and let it rise slowly to 22. It's 7% abv, it's my first attempt. This is the recipe
Belgian dubbel
3.5kg pilsner
500g wheat
500g Munich
250 caramunich 2
200g special W
200g Cara aroma
500g brown candy sugar
80g chocolate at mash out
18g Magnum @ 60mins

Yeast WLP 530 ( starter is on )
Just waiting on the water to heat up.

I used WLP 530. I agree I expected more from it. Maybe I should of went with a higher temp. I pitched at 18 and let it rise slowly to 22. It's 7% abv, it's my first attempt. This is the recipe
Belgian dubbel
3.5kg pilsner
500g wheat
500g Munich
250 caramunich 2
200g special W
200g Cara aroma
500g brown candy sugar
80g chocolate at mash out
18g Magnum @ 60mins

Yeast WLP 530 ( starter is on )
Just waiting on the water to heat up.
I have to say I would say I am a novice on the Dubbels, im sure I have only had westmalle and I have only brewed a Dubbel once which looking at my recipe I used the wyeast version of the same strain I think. From memory I got a faint banana aroma initially, it didn't taste that way . Recipe for my first attempt;
https://share.brewfather.app/bThLST78qtSJsv

I have to say I would say I am a novice on the Dubbels, im sure I have only had westmalle and I have only brewed a Dubbel once which looking at my recipe I used the wyeast version of the same strain I think. From memory I got a faint banana aroma initially, it didn't taste that way . Recipe for my first attempt;
https://share.brewfather.app/bThLST78qtSJsv
I just poured one. It's definitely over carbonated. Dangerously easy to drink a 7% beer. I will enjoy these over Christmas. I am only starting to get into Belgian beers. I used the same yeast for my imperial stout and Belgian IPA. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.
IMG_20201111_220308200.jpg
It's a nice pint

I just poured one. It's definitely over carbonated. Dangerously easy to drink a 7% beer. I will enjoy these over Christmas. I am only starting to get into Belgian beers. I used the same yeast for my imperial stout and Belgian IPA. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.
View attachment 35434
It's a nice pint
It's definitely easy drinking 👌🏼
You say you have only just got into Belgians, you seem to be into them in a big way now😬 I think that yeast will work well in the stout and IPA. What hops are you planning for the IPA?
I have a Belgian IPA to brew next month with Amarillo, cascade & centennial using WLP510( it's based on Magic Rock-Zenne like).

It's definitely easy drinking 👌🏼
You say you have only just got into Belgians, you seem to be into them in a big way now😬 I think that yeast will work well in the stout and IPA. What hops are you planning for the IPA?
I have a Belgian IPA to brew next month with Amarillo, cascade & centennial using WLP510( it's based on Magic Rock-Zenne like).
I used 100g of saaz and 100g hallertau mittelfruh, magnum to bitter

Today I brewed a British Golden Ale, I won't call it Summer Lightening, I have changed the hop profile, slightly over the BJCP guidelines on the IBU front, used Target instead of Challenger, will be dry hopping with Target as well.
This is a thirst quenching beer, ideal for down under.
001.JPG

Mash, full volume, pre boil gravity spot on.
A tip for foam coming up for boil, a small cap full of distilling conditioner prevents any boil over. Saves standing there with a sieve scooping off the foam.
002.JPG

005.JPG

A great drop.

Last edited:
Today I brewed a British Golden Ale, I won't call it Summer Lightening, I have changed the hop profile, slightly over the BJCP guidelines on the IBU front, used Target instead of Challenger, will be dry hopping with Target as well.
This is a thirst quenching beer, ideal for down under.
View attachment 35440
Mash, full volume, pre boil gravity spot on.
A tip for foam coming up for boil, a small cap full of distilling conditioner prevents any boil over. Saves standing there with a sieve scooping off the foam.
View attachment 35441
View attachment 35442
A great drop.
I have never used Target before but brewing an English Pale next week with Target & Admiral🤞🏼

Made a starter for weekend brewing, using OYL-042 Belgian Saison II which I think is the blaugies yeast. Going to make a 1.042 saison at the weekend for it, then add brett c at bottling. Because we all know late autumn is the time for saison right?

I have never used Target before but brewing an English Pale next week with Target & Admiral🤞🏼
Mash low and lift the IBU,s, I make a ESB using Super Pride for bittering (you may not be able to get that hop over there) but I can still taste the beer 1/2 hour after finishing it. I like Target and it is difficult to get here. Last lot I got from Crosmyloof in bulk.

Yesterday I did the GH Dunkelweizen. Wonderful ingredients - that Weyermann Barke malt looks good enough to eat, and the Tettnanger hops smelled fab.
I‘ve seen a few people elsewhere advising a step mash for this style so I thought I’d give it a go: 42/62/72°C with 30 mins at each. Wasn’t as much faff as I expected, but it did show me that I need to measure the temp of the wort recirculation as well as the heating circuit as the two were a couple of degrees different at the higher end.
OG ended up almost right at 1055 vs. 1056 - I’ll settle for that athumb..
Now in the FV at a temp controlled 18°C.

Challenger smash last night.
4kg crafty maltsters pale malt
50g home grown challenger 60mins
25g home grown challenger 15mins
25g home grown challenger 0mins
Its going mad at the moment on CML four.

Obviously as I don't know the AA of these hops the final result is anyones guess. Bittering hops were the dregs off of the plant but aroma ones looked and smelt as good as you'd buy.

Better, I'd imagine! Were you able to use them fresh off the plant, or did you have to store them for a bit? - what a luxury, to have your own :hat:
I'd vacuum sealed them after giving them a day in the dehydrator. The bittering hops looked a bit oxidised from being the last off the plant and the vacuum sealer not quite getting all of the air out of the bag. I figured for bittering that wouldn't be an issue.

Latest posts

Back