What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

My notes on Melanoidin say: "Adds ruby colour; aroma is honey and biscuit notes. Maximum addition 20%"

I'd say honey and biscuit could work well in a golden ale, if lightly hopped. Might come out a bit dark tho?
I agree. I think the flavours will work as you say. I may add enough to hit a colour, then call it enough and see whether it's noticeable

Today I brewed an American Amber taking inspiration from the Sierra Nevada
Pale ale recipe on their website for malt bill and hop schedule.
Sierra Nevada is a pale ale but it's stated EBC of 19.7 - 23.6 crosses into the lower Amber range
Was going to use Caramalt but went for Dark Crystal in the end to get required EBC.
Brewing a smaller batch than usual to fill a mini keg to take on holiday at the end of the month.

Cascade Amber ale
11L batch
Total water 15.58

Extra pale MO 92%
Dark Crystal 8%

5gm Cascade 90 mins
5gm Cascade 60 mins
15gm Cascade 30 mins
15gm Cascade flameout 15mins

I over did it with IBUs as I didn't change my Brewfather setting from my usual
80c hopstand so rather than planned 38 it's more like 46.
That said my last Amber ale was 39 and feedback was it need more hop taste and aroma so hoping it will be a beneficial mistake.

OG was bang on at 1.054, pitched US-05 at 19c. Predicted finish at 1.013 for
ABV of 5.4%.

Planning another small batch to fill my other 10L mini keg, maybe a California Common or a pseudo Pilsener next.

Today I brewed an American Amber taking inspiration from the Sierra Nevada
Pale ale recipe on their website for malt bill and hop schedule.
Sierra Nevada is a pale ale but it's stated EBC of 19.7 - 23.6 crosses into the lower Amber range
Was going to use Caramalt but went for Dark Crystal in the end to get required EBC.
Brewing a smaller batch than usual to fill a mini keg to take on holiday at the end of the month.

Cascade Amber ale
11L batch
Total water 15.58

Extra pale MO 92%
Dark Crystal 8%

5gm Cascade 90 mins
5gm Cascade 60 mins
15gm Cascade 30 mins
15gm Cascade flameout 15mins

I over did it with IBUs as I didn't change my Brewfather setting from my usual
80c hopstand so rather than planned 38 it's more like 46.
That said my last Amber ale was 39 and feedback was it need more hop taste and aroma so hoping it will be a beneficial mistake.

OG was bang on at 1.054, pitched US-05 at 19c. Predicted finish at 1.013 for
ABV of 5.4%.

Planning another small batch to fill my other 10L mini keg, maybe a California Common or a pseudo Pilsener next.
Yum!

Just started bottling my mild.
3kg grain in 23l.
Surprisingly low amount of trub in the bottom of the barrel when I siphoned it into the bottling bucket.

Bottles soaking in setilizer to remove labels as I type...

Yesterday. Did a Elderflower Wit/Wheat.

2.2kg Pils
2.2kg Wheat
250g porridge/rolled oats

Magnum bittering for 20IBU

Us-05 yeast at ~20C

Approx 1Ltr elderflower petals steeped at 80C for 20 mins

Note to self: next time steep the petals in a sack. Clogs everything! Had to tip the kettle into the fermenter.

End sample tasted very sweet (had trouble maintaining mash temp) with a lovely note of elderflower

IMG_20230608_193835735.jpg

Last edited:
Just started bottling my mild.
3kg grain in 23l.
Surprisingly low amount of trub in the bottom of the barrel when I siphoned it into the bottling bucket.

Bottles soaking in setilizer to remove labels as I type...
I just did my second mild in a row on Tuesday.

AG #40 California Common

11L batch BIAB (no sparge)
15.4L total water

OG.1.050
FG 1.011
EBC 21.5
IBU 38
ABV 5.1%

Extra pale Maris Otter 2.2kg
Vienna 300gm
Dark Crystal 150gm

Northern Brewer 5gm 60mins
Northern Brewer 5gm 15 mins
Northern Brewer 5gm 5mins
Northern Brewer 15gm Flameout 15mins

CML Kentucky, pitched at 20c

OG a point down at 1.049, I'd be interested to know what sort of attenuation
people have had from this yeast.

CML Kentucky, pitched at 20c

OG a point down at 1.049, I'd be interested to know what sort of attenuation
people have had from this yeast.
I brewed a kölsch with Kentucky yeast, fermented at 13c and got 87% attenuation, you can probably expect slightly more since you're fermenting warmer.

Sunday for me (well, Saturday night, went longer than planned) was a grapefruit IPA.

5KG Maris Otter
22L mash, 9L sparge to end up with 23L of finished wort, accounting for kettle & fermenter losses to end up with 19L in a keg.
30g Amarillo at 60 mins, 15g at 30, 25g at 10 along with the zest of 1 grapefruit, this smells amazing.

Pitched a 100g/500ml dme / water starter of US-05 and it's going off like a rocket at the moment, will be adding 1kg of grapefruit puree this evening and then it's getting a 30g dry hop of Amarillo for 5 days.

Really looking forward to this one, I think it's going to be a great summer sipper.

Well, the coopers irish stout with choc malt and demerara sugar was bottled last night and I had a quarter of a pint as a taste test, I have to say, it was rather good already!

Since the FV was empty, this afternoon I have put on a Mangrove Jacks craft series blueberry cider with the mangrove jacks cider enhancer.

I have brewed the last 2 kits short but this one is to the kit instructions at 23ltrs. Reviews of thr flavour etc seem pretty good, so let's see...OG read at either 1058 or 1060, maybe 1059.

Looking forward to this one!

I've got my second brew masters IPA bubbling away at a steady pace. The first one came out quite dark for an IPA. It's an ok drop, but a bit uninspiring. Nothing bad, quite drinkable, but IPA are probably my favourite, and it's just ok.

All my brews this year I got cheap because they were just past their best before date. They have mostly been dark northern beers, mild and bitter and have been great. A couple of lagers early on in the year which were very pale but light and refreshing.

Just wondering if the IPA has got darker because it's old? Maybe being in the can too long? Never done a brew masters before. I normally do Cooper's, so I've nothing to compare it to.

Brewing something based on what ingredients I have and my memory of this. Pale malt, crystal, Amarillo, home grown First Gold and Juniper berries.
rogue-juniper-pale-ale.jpg

First brew day in a while, and it‘s a Saison. I keept things simple a 13L batch made with 2.5KG of Golden Promise (because I have some that need using up), mashed at 67°C for 90 minutes followed by a dunk sparge. Hops are a 60 minute addition of Aurora and a five minute addition of Aurora and Saaz. Finally added 200g of honey and fermenting with CML Wallonia.

It’s not a complicated beer but one I’ve made many times before and gives me good results.

Working on a pale ale at the moment.

So far 3kg Maris otter.
Stepped mash 62-70 in 2degree increments every 30 minutes .
15g EKG at start of boil.

Will add some harlequin (changed mind) in about 30-45 mins when boil finishes

Last edited:
First brew day in a while, and it‘s a Saison. I keept things simple a 13L batch made with 2.5KG of Golden Promise (because I have some that need using up), mashed at 67°C for 90 minutes followed by a dunk sparge. Hops are a 60 minute addition of Aurora and a five minute addition of Aurora and Saaz. Finally added 200g of honey and fermenting with CML Wallonia.

It’s not a complicated beer but one I’ve made many times before and gives me good results.
Snap! Might try to squeeze in a Saison today too. Mines based off the cottage House Saison from HBT with a few minor adjustments

The weather forecasts have being all over the place and as I brew outside with an electric boiler, I’m not exactly keen to risk a sudden rain shower, I also have an empty keg that needed filling so decided to do a kit. Mangrove Jack kits seem to get relatively good feed back, so I’m giving their Kveik IPA a go. Brew day went about as you would expect with a kit, and everything is bubbling away.

One thing I will say with this kit, normally I would be quite pleased if a kit actually gave two weeks timing for the fermentation (with the suggestion of adding the dry hops after one week when the gravity is below 1.020) just one slight problem this kit comes with two sachets of Mangrove Jack Voss Kveik, which will likely ferment out the kit fully in about 48 hours or less.

Back