What did you brew today?

Discussion in 'Beer Brewdays!' started by MyQul, Jul 30, 2016.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jun 19, 2019 #1941

samale

samale

samale

Regular.

Many grams of hops are you using for a Belgian IPA. Are they as hop forward as an American ipa

2. Jun 19, 2019 #1942

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

They can be, often people will simply use an American IPA recipe but with a Belgian yeast. I've been a little more reserved with only about 200g of hops split between whirlpool and dry hop (plus a bittering addition).

3. Jun 19, 2019 #1943

prog99

prog99

prog99

Regular. Supporting Member

Had an accidental taste of this tonight (I pulled the wrong keg when pouring a stout, the poor shed lighting made them look the same). Not bad at all, great head on the beer and very smooth. Hard to believe its over 8%. Sourness definitely restrained though, must try harder next time.

4. Jul 1, 2019 #1944

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

GH wit with coriander and bitter orange peel ..brew day like clockwork but suffered a bit of a hit on efficiency...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  5. Jul 4, 2019 #1945

SteveH

SteveH

SteveH

Got a Farmhouse in your soul Saison on last night, hit all my numbers and everything went to plan... until the very end when my thermometer stopped working.

I couldn't measure water temperature to rehydrate the yeast (Belle Saison) so I pitched it dry at about 22c, hopefully all will be OK!

6. Jul 5, 2019 #1946

Richard Lander

Richard Lander

Richard Lander

Finding that here in the UK there are 100g vac-packed Hops for sale for £1 + VAT = £1.20, I have been brewing up all sorts of Hop flavoured "not beer" recipes. Turns out everything tastes better with hops in. The beer making materials involve £1 of hops and >£10 of malt to make 40 pints, which makes me upset when I have used up all the expensive Malt and drunk all the beer, need to buy more malt. Malt extract gets much cheaper in a 25L container, but that just makes it sadder every time I run out of it.

Recent brewing results using hops to flavour "country wines" are good. Turns out that for "Under £1 all in" I can brew up 5L batches of experimental recipes, with sugar, yeast, yeast vit, Hops and other ingredients.

Very pleased with: the tea+hops+spices; the cider+hops.; the ginger beer, with added hops. Other hops flavoured favourites to follow, I am sure.

Dutto likes this.
  7. Jul 12, 2019 #1947

chrisb8

chrisb8

chrisb8

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This afternoon I brewed a 15ltr batch of Coffee Vanilla Porter. This is my first attempt at this style so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out :beer1:

8. Jul 14, 2019 #1948

Sadfield

Sadfield

Sadfield

Landlord.

First brew in over a month. Knocked up a split batch brew using Wai-iti hops. Half is going to be fermented with Belle Saison and dry hopped with more Wai-iti. The other half will be fermented with a Belgian Abbey yeast (MJ M47) with sugar addition to raise the Abv by 2%, to hopefully end up with something in the spirit of Duvel Citra.

9. Jul 19, 2019 #1949

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

IMG_20190719_152631.jpg just straining Mrs Clint's gin... raspberry in progress,Tay berry done. Red currant to do and a black currant to set up.

Dutto likes this.
  10. Jul 20, 2019 #1950

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

A lager - Munich Helles. Got a hankering for simple refreshing beers at the moment. 25 litres.

90% lager malt, 10% Munich malt. Soft water, mashed at 64*C. Hallertauer Mittelfruh at 60 and 5mins to 20 ABU. OG 1.055. Fermenting with 3 X 10g packs of MJ m76 Bavarian Lager (what I picked up for 50p each).

Uneventful brewday on the whole, except I used pellets straight into the boiler = clogged bazooka filter. Never again, only using whole hops in the boiler from now on.

11. Jul 20, 2019 #1951

Jakeyboi

Jakeyboi

Jakeyboi

Regular.

Double brew day today! Stocks have been depleted, again.

Sorted out a few issues I was having with the grainfather, ditched the top plate during the mash, I found 99% of the recirculated water was going straight down the middle, this also allowed me to stir the mash more easily.

Used a hop spider during the boil, and when sterilising the wort chiller I ran it through the hop spider which removed some small particles, then did it again during the whirlpool. It worked excellently and cleared out the cold break.

Resulted in two fine looking brews,

20l of brown ale
    20l of American wheat beer

Happy brewing

12. Jul 21, 2019 #1952

dan125

dan125

dan125

BIAB brewer

I brewed up the first of my two entries for this years Welsh national comp - a fairly straight forward APA with centennial and mosaic.
    20190721_192108.jpg

Hopsteep likes this.
  13. Jul 21, 2019 #1953

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

Still on the quest for the perfect bitter that I remember drinking as a nipper. Actually the beer was shiite then, so I'm not sure what it is I'm trying to remember.
    Have established a working malt profile which is flavoursome and light at the same time, and single hopped one batch with Pilgrim and the other with Endeavour. Just realised that neither of those hops were around in the seventies so it's back to the drawing board. Certainly something other than Goldings and Fuggles.

14. Aug 5, 2019 #1954

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored Moderator

Challenger Ordinary Bitter for me today

15. Aug 5, 2019 #1955

iaincrosbie

iaincrosbie

iaincrosbie

A vacant gesture recipe from youtube's harrybrew69.
    A blonde ale bittered with centennial then double dry hopped with mosaic.
    In the fermenter at 30 litres of 1036.
    Clockwork brewday.
    All done and cleaned in 5 hrs.
    Few pints of my el dorado smash experiment while brewing. Doing that again

16. Aug 5, 2019 #1956

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    Did a Lager at the weekend and realised when cleaning up I had not added the kettle finings. Took an hour to heat back up and chill again. I should know better by now!

17. Aug 5, 2019 #1957

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Landlord.

East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
    Would love to swap a bottle if it comes out well. Save the trub, I have been reusing the yeast for over a year. Next Lager I will be trying the CML hells out. Looks like it attenuates well.

18. Aug 5, 2019 #1958

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

Brewed 22 ltrs of Old Empire IPA clonish. It was a recipe I have found on the net but don't know how near it will be as it as the usual hops EKG and Fuggles but asked for 56g of cascade in the last five mins and 56g of cascade dry hop. I have omitted the cascade dry hop as I know it uses cascade but I do not think in that quantity

19. Aug 5, 2019 #1959

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

Sounds good to me! I bottled it last week and it is currently in the brewfridge at 11 Deg C so will need to leave it til next weekend at least to take a view on it. Will pm you if it's good. Trub was dumped, didn't think to save some......

BeerCat likes this.
  20. Aug 6, 2019 #1960

kevmogs

kevmogs

kevmogs

New Member Supporting Member

4kg Maris Otter
    500g Crystal
    250g Chocolate malt
    Cascade + Fuggles
    Going to pour on 2kg plum pulp in the fermenter
    Got about 50 mins left on the boil, trying the wort chiller for the first time, and pitching a Real Ale yeast from Crossmyloof.
    Bottle or barrel, what do you think?