What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people may not want to write out a full brewday report but just say what they brewed.

So what did you brew today?

I made a 'bit's and bobs stout' to use up the odds and ends of grain I had
Only my third attempt at home brewing. Went for an IPA, three malt mix, couple of hops, done using an old cool box, a tea urn, and a water boiler. Should be reet!

We recently bought a pressure cooker. Modern kitchen stuff has all sorts of capabilities. This one has a sous vide mode, which I figured could be appropriated for a mini mash

PXL_20230716_110041369.jpg

The Sage "fast slow go", set to 66°. As it turns out, it doesn't moderate the temperature very fast. It was nicely at 66 degrees at the start, but putting the grain in dropped it to 62, and it only gradually rose to 64 by the end of the mash.
PXL_20230716_110101576.MP.jpg

A handy nylon laundry bag sufficed as the BIAB.
I did a dunk sparge in 3L of fresh water on the hob, then combined with the first runnings and boiled for 30 minutes
PXL_20230716_123804233.jpg

This is a 5L batch, and even though it's fairly hoppy, the additions are laughably small.
PXL_20230716_113559615.jpg

It cooled in the sink, where upon a big gloop of hot/cold break formed.
PXL_20230716_132413716.jpg

I only got approx 4L out of the stove pot, but it was at 1.072, so I'll add some more water to reduce it a bit.

PXL_20230716_165235046.jpg

Brew day was a lot shorter than normal because cleanup is a doodle in the sink and I can get from sparge to boiling in about 3 minutes. Cooling takes longer though, but it is only a (relatively) small pot so can just sit there without getting in the way

Update. Because I had to pour the wort through a sieve into the fermenter, I left very little behind. Brew house efficiency was ~85%. I'll need to adjust future brews to be a bit lighter on the malt bill. This may need to water down the resulting beer when I bottle it.

Last edited:
Mrs Clint suggested I brew beer this afternoon....
So,I've formulated a SAISON! recipe and just about to mash.
Recipe falls low on colour but it's pilsner,wheat,rye,carapils and dextrose so can be expected. Hops are EKG for a change,yeast CML Wallonia. It'll be a sipper at 7% though.

First brewday for a good few weeks. Brewing a Bitter - a style I love on cask but am often underwhelmed by in bottle, so rarely bother to brew.

It's about 86% Maris Otter with the rest equal parts of medium crystal, dark crystal and biscuit. Northdown and Fuggles for hops. A combo of Nottingham and Windsor to pitch in - hoping for some esters but also a lowish FG. The aim is 4.5% abv.

Mash is on. Time for a coffee.

First brewday for a good few weeks. Brewing a Bitter - a style I love on cask but am often underwhelmed by in bottle, so rarely bother to brew.

It's about 86% Maris Otter with the rest equal parts of medium crystal, dark crystal and biscuit. Northdown and Fuggles for hops. A combo of Nottingham and Windsor to pitch in - hoping for some esters but also a lowish FG. The aim is 4.5% abv.

Mash is on. Time for a coffee.
All done (bar the pitch. Wort in fridge dropping last couple of degrees after the chiller didn't quite get there). Very smooth brewday with no major #### ups!

Efficiency up again. My first half dozen brews on the Grainfather all undershort, this is the second in a row that's overshot. Think I'm getting the hang of it and can adjust the recipe calculations down a bit.

If the Notty does its job, the beer should finish at 5ish rather than 4.5%. Not the end of the world at all.

Well, while testing one of my Oktoberfest (bottled in Feb2023), I bottled 2 cases of a Summer Saison that needed a lot of patience'n'prayer to turn out good. The cook was done in 110° desert shade & it really didn't go as planned. The taste during (indoor) bottling this weekend demonstrated promise, but time will tell.

I maybe not around much, but I'm still lurking.

With all the rain I haven’t had a chance to brew for a while but at least here it has being forecast to be dry today so getting a batch on.

Keeping it fairly simple with just pale malt (4KG of Simpson Golden Promise) plus a kilo of spray malt. Hops are the CML Tropical England Mix, and yeast will be CML Hornindial Kveik, so all being well I will be kegging it next Saturday.

We recently bought a pressure cooker. Modern kitchen stuff has all sorts of capabilities. This one has a sous vide mode, which I figured could be appropriated for a mini mash

View attachment 87960

The Sage "fast slow go", set to 66°. As it turns out, it doesn't moderate the temperature very fast. It was nicely at 66 degrees at the start, but putting the grain in dropped it to 62, and it only gradually rose to 64 by the end of the mash.
View attachment 87961
A handy nylon laundry bag sufficed as the BIAB.
I did a dunk sparge in 3L of fresh water on the hob, then combined with the first runnings and boiled for 30 minutes
View attachment 87962
This is a 5L batch, and even though it's fairly hoppy, the additions are laughably small.
View attachment 87963

It cooled in the sink, where upon a big gloop of hot/cold break formed.
View attachment 87964
I only got approx 4L out of the stove pot, but it was at 1.072, so I'll add some more water to reduce it a bit.

View attachment 87965

Brew day was a lot shorter than normal because cleanup is a doodle in the sink and I can get from sparge to boiling in about 3 minutes. Cooling takes longer though, but it is only a (relatively) small pot so can just sit there without getting in the way

Update. Because I had to pour the wort through a sieve into the fermenter, I left very little behind. Brew house efficiency was ~85%. I'll need to adjust future brews to be a bit lighter on the malt bill. This may need to water down the resulting beer when I bottle it.
I like the commandeering of the kitchen appliance athumb..

A Tribute clone of sorts. 30 litre batch, 20 litres of which got a Mystic whirlpool addition & fermenting with Nottingham & 10 litres with a Saaz whirlpool & K97 yeast.

Haven't brewed for a couple of months so was nice to hit all the numbers - mash pH, volumes & OG.

Bass bitter as per Graham Wheelers Brew your own British real ale at home. 4200g pale malt 245g crystal. 80 minutes mash .Hops Northdowns 23g Challenger 20 g for 70 minutes Northdowns 12g hopstand.15 minutes .water treatment for dry pale ale. Ferment with Nottingham ale yeast.

Last edited:
Brewed a Saison yesterday. Everything went well except I forgot the bazooka in the boil kettle so had to tip it all into the fermenter. No big deal. (Arsebiscuits, just realised I forgot to rotate the racking arm into position. Every. Single. Time.)

Wouldn't bother me but I went on a coarser crush to see if I'd get less trüb (BIAB).

Ah well, if that's all that goes wrong I'll be relatively happy.

Holy **** those yeasts are beasts. Some honk of sulphur off them though. The uptick in SG is my honey addition.

Screenshot_20230731-184917.png

Latest posts

Back