What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belgium Triple (Greg Hughes Recipie)

This is my first attempt at a Belgium beer, and I scaled the recipe down to 10L.

Brew day went fairly well, although my efficiency was a bit off beer came in at 1.075 instead of 1.080, so the final ABB will pro be in the 8-8.5% range instead of the 9% in the recipe. Frankly though as long as it tastes good I will be happy.

Yeast wise I am following the recipes recommendation and using Wyeast Belgium Strong Ale, so fingers crossed come late March early April I will end up with something decent.

Got a user upper pale ale on the go at the minute with zeus to bitter, cascade and chinook late additions. Fermenting with the last of my London 3 yeast which I'll harvest after fermentation.
IMG_20201220_111206.jpg

Has anyone much experience with carahell I have 500g sitting about. I am trying to piece together a recipe to use up what I have left in the box. It's looking like
5kg Minch malt
500g carahell
200g golden naked oats

40g EKG
100g first gold
Yeast will be verdant IPA yeast

I have some caraaroma, chocolate, roasted barley, acid malt.

Any ideas or suggestions 🧐

Chevalier Saison

1.042 og
Omega Blaugies yeast, repitched

4kg crisp chevalier malt
100g homegrown hallertau mittelfruh 60mins

23l batch

I've wanted to try crisp chevalier in a saison for a while, so thought I'd give it a try. Fermenting away at 25c will ramp to 30 in a day or two. Kept it simple

Has anyone much experience with carahell I have 500g sitting about. I am trying to piece together a recipe to use up what I have left in the box. It's looking like
5kg Minch malt
500g carahell
200g golden naked oats

40g EKG
100g first gold
Yeast will be verdant IPA yeast

I have some caraaroma, chocolate, roasted barley, acid malt.

Any ideas or suggestions 🧐
Yeah I use it all the time, it's a bit sweeter than carapils and very similar to crystal 20. I usually max out at 5-7% or it gets too sweet.

Brewed my second 'Abbey' ale today, I was going to do a simple wheat but having opened the first bottle of the previous batch on Friday and been somewhat blown away by how good it was, I had to get another batch on.

It's a pretty simple one, Crisp Abbey malt (43%) and Crisp Light Munich malt (43%) with demerara (14%) added just before the boil, bittered with Magnum, Hallertau Mittelfruh & Huell Melon as late additions (total 35 IBU) with the latter two making a reappearance for the dry hop four days before bottling.

I used CML Ale yeast (the cheapo one) again as I'm very pleasantly surprised with the results from the last batch, hopefully this one will turn out as good!

No boil no chill English pale ale. Just to use up stocks
5.8 kg Minch malt
500 carahell
300g golden naked oats

Wort heated up to 90 degree's 40g EKG & 40g first gold and left to steep.
Currently cooling, dry hop on day 8 of 60g first gold
Yeast: verdant IPA yeast
22 litres @ 1.058

Very easy brew day

Brewed Version 7 of my American Amber last night. Target OG-1.058 - FG - 1.014- 5.8% - 38 IBU estimated - 26EBC
16 Litre Batch

79% Maris Otter
8.5% Dark Crystal - 148 EBC
6.6% Dingermans Biscuit - 45 EBC
6.0% Munich - 25 EBC

Chinook - 5g- 10 IBU - 60min
Chinook - 15g - 19 IBU -20min
Chinook - 30g - 7 IBU- whirlpool - 15min
Crystal - 24g - 2 IBU - Whirlpool - 15min
Mosaic - 70g - Dry Hop 7 days(at day 3)
Centennial - 40g- Dry Hop 7 days(at day 3)

Crossmyloof PIA yeast

All went to plan, OG ended being 1.061 so probably going to be a little stronger than planned. PIA yeast has started to work its magic as there is lots of yeast activity this morning after pitching the yeast at around 1030 last night.

IMG_20201220_230452.jpg
IMG_20201221_091338.jpg

Brewed Version 7 of my American Amber last night. Target OG-1.058 - FG - 1.014- 5.8% - 38 IBU estimated - 26EBC
16 Litre Batch

79% Maris Otter
8.5% Dark Crystal - 148 EBC
6.6% Dingermans Biscuit - 45 EBC
6.0% Munich - 25 EBC

Chinook - 5g- 10 IBU - 60min
Chinook - 15g - 19 IBU -20min
Chinook - 30g - 7 IBU- whirlpool - 15min
Crystal - 24g - 2 IBU - Whirlpool - 15min
Mosaic - 70g - Dry Hop 7 days(at day 3)
Centennial - 40g- Dry Hop 7 days(at day 3)

Crossmyloof PIA yeast

All went to plan, OG ended being 1.061 so probably going to be a little stronger than planned. PIA yeast has started to work its magic as there is lots of yeast activity this morning after pitching the yeast at around 1030 last night.

View attachment 37913View attachment 37914
I thought I over cooked my American amber with hops. I used 80g of Sorachi ace plus 80g Amarillo. You are using similar quantities, my beer looking very muddy. It's not very clear yet.

I thought I over cooked my American amber with hops. I used 80g of Sorachi ace plus 80g Amarillo. You are using similar quantities, my beer looking very muddy. It's not very clear yet.
Is it still in the fermenter or is this one you have kegged already? I usually aim for around 5-7g per litre dry hops with Amber's, we shall see if that's too much with Mosiac 🤷🏽. Interesting combo sorachi Ace and Amarillo, will that give you orange & lemon?

Is it still in the fermenter or is this one you have kegged already? I usually aim for around 5-7g per litre dry hops with Amber's, we shall see if that's too much with Mosiac 🤷🏽. Interesting combo sorachi Ace and Amarillo, will that give you orange & lemon?
I have sent one of them over to you. An American amber for me should have a really good malt back bone with some nice fruity hops supporting. It will be interesting to see what you think of it. I used redx as the base malt

I have sent one of them over to you. An American amber for me should have a really good malt back bone with some nice fruity hops supporting. It will be interesting to see what you think of it. I used redx as the base malt
I can't wait, hopefully it shows up before Friday 🤞then i will have a nice selection of homebrew to get through over the Christmas period.
This was an interesting post for the Belgian beer fan that I read this morning
https://www.belgiansmaak.com/belgian-beer-12-belgian-beers-that-defined-the-decade/

22 litres of Tribute
Based on Clint's #3 clone with a few tweaks.
Water: Ca 156, SO4, Cl 100 Alk 32
4000g Pale malt
500g Vienna
100g Torrefied wheat
60m mash @ 65C, 20m sparge @ 75C
75m boil
25g Challenger @ 75m
25g Willamette @ 15m
25g Willamette @ 0m, hop stand for 15m
CML Midland yeast.
OG 1051
IBU 30