What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's brew was an American IPA, if it wasn't for a comp it wouldn't have got a look in. A 6% ABV beer Citra and Cascade hops with a huge Citra and Cascade dry hop. Pushed the grain bill to the limit, even had to take 1.5 litres of liquor out.
002.JPG

Liquor is millimetres from the top.

20 litres into the fermenter, with all targets met.
004.JPG

I'm in the process of doing a partial smash using calypso.
Its almost smash because I'm using 1.5Kg pale malt, 1kg DME & 500g brewing sugar.

Alpha acid is substianially higher than my usual EKG/Fuggles hops, so using 20g bittering, 20g flavouring & 10g aroma

Anti brewing today poured away 30 bottles of My Tokyo Pilsner for being strongly phenolic. This was my 3rd batch and the first two were fine. 😢😢

Got a 6 bottle beaverdale cab/Shiraz on the go.
I plan on using the sanitiser tomorrow to get the other two beaverdale kits brewing.

Got a 6 bottle beaverdale cab/Shiraz on the go.
I plan on using the sanitiser tomorrow to get the other two beaverdale kits brewing.

Got the beaverdale shiraz and pinot noir brewing and a supermarket wine from Asda red grape 1ltr and 1.5ltr of lidl Apple Juice.
Tsp of pectolase.
Tsp of yeast nutrient.
3 teabag cup of tea.
About 800g of sugar.

Another 18 bottles of wine to look forward to.

That verdant IPA yeast is insane. Its climbing out the airlock. I have 22 litres in my 30 litre speidel fermentor. Never seen suck a think cream krausen before
View attachment 38082
I've just brewed David Heath's verdant IPA, I thought I was in for a big mess with 21 litres in a B2B bucket with little headspace but it was actually fine, nothing even into the airlock let alone through it, and fermented down to 1.008. what temp did you ferment at? mine was c 22c in the airing cupboard. don't know why I've escaped the blowout that others seem to have had on this one though!

Early start, getting a Bass Mild on the go, bad start too, forgetting to take the sanitiser out of the mash tun before tipping in the treated water. Let's do it again then! Plain sailing from there, right up until the point the hydrometer announced the SG was 10 points above expectation. Never mind, more alcohol, I suppose. Inquest in the morning, carry on supping the Sambrooks now.

Had a Wilko brown ale kit to package today. So thought I'd reuse the trub for a ginger beer.

Went to Lidl to buy the ingredients. They only had 11 bottles of premium lemonade, I use this rather than water and keep the bottles for reuse.
Bought about 2 handfuls of ginger, a few limes and some oranges. Once the ale was done I scraped the muck off the side of the bucket, added 2L of lemonade and gave the whole lot a good stir. Used the blender to blend up the ginger in some lemonade, left the skin on but gave it a quick wash.

I peeled the oranges and added to the blender but left the peels on the limes, used four limes in total so it'll be a little sharp initially. Had a bit of demerara left in the cupboard, about 0.5kg worth, added that. Then remembered we had a big carrot left over from the reindeer. Peeled it and shredded and added to the blender. Added the mix and emptied the rest of the lemonade into the bucket. Got around 23L in total. Gave the top of the bucket plus the airlock a good clean before sealing, switched on the heat pad and wrapped in an insulation blanket (it's in the shed).

Will leave for a couple of weeks, it wont take that long to brew out but I'll let it chill once it has, OG was 1030 and it usually finishes at around 1000-1002. After priming it'll probably be around 4%, I'm not aiming for a strong drink. I have a batch I made with pineapple that's getting ready to try, might try tonight! Sometimes the lime can be overpowering but it mellows out after another month or so. I have a lot of empty bottles now so I think I'll just do the next one with water but I'll give it all a good clean out and brew a kit before that.

Had a Wilko brown ale kit to package today. So thought I'd reuse the trub for a ginger beer.

Went to Lidl to buy the ingredients. They only had 11 bottles of premium lemonade, I use this rather than water and keep the bottles for reuse.
Bought about 2 handfuls of ginger, a few limes and some oranges. Once the ale was done I scraped the muck off the side of the bucket, added 2L of lemonade and gave the whole lot a good stir. Used the blender to blend up the ginger in some lemonade, left the skin on but gave it a quick wash.

I peeled the oranges and added to the blender but left the peels on the limes, used four limes in total so it'll be a little sharp initially. Had a bit of demerara left in the cupboard, about 0.5kg worth, added that. Then remembered we had a big carrot left over from the reindeer. Peeled it and shredded and added to the blender. Added the mix and emptied the rest of the lemonade into the bucket. Got around 23L in total. Gave the top of the bucket plus the airlock a good clean before sealing, switched on the heat pad and wrapped in an insulation blanket (it's in the shed).

Will leave for a couple of weeks, it wont take that long to brew out but I'll let it chill once it has, OG was 1030 and it usually finishes at around 1000-1002. After priming it'll probably be around 4%, I'm not aiming for a strong drink. I have a batch I made with pineapple that's getting ready to try, might try tonight! Sometimes the lime can be overpowering but it mellows out after another month or so. I have a lot of empty bottles now so I think I'll just do the next one with water but I'll give it all a good clean out and brew a kit before that.

This is completely new to me, never heard of anything like this. Will this work for any leftovers after brewing beer?

I've tried it a few times with the left over slurry from a few different kits and it's worked fine. I got the idea after pouring the dregs from a homebrew into a part bottle of lemonade to see if it would ferment and it did.

22 litres of Munich Helles

4000g Lager malt
200g Carapils
500g Wheat malt
30g Hersbrucker @ 60m
25g Tettnang @ 10m
1 Profoloc @ 10m
2 packets of CML Hell @ 12C (hopefully as first batch in the brew fridge)
OG 1049 BHE 73%.
IBU 18.6
SRM 3.5

23.5L of GH American IPA, lowered the amount of grain to 5kg instead of 6kg for slightly lower ABV.

4kg Pale malt (MO) Mash @ 65°C for 60mins and 75°C mash out for 10mins.
Boil 70mins
30g citra/magnum(mix) @ boil
15g citra @10mins
15g simcoe @10mins
52g citra @ turn off
50g simcoe @ turn off
half a protofloc tablet @10mins
MJ M-44 West Coast yeast 11g
OG 1,048

Coopers 23ltr bitter.
Coopers 23ltr lager.

Just racked the Cooper's lager ready for bottling.
Had trouble with this and pitched a mangrove jack's Bavarian lager yeast M76 about 3 days later after thinking I'd put both yeasts in the bitter lol.
I've already drank all the bitter from my pb and have two bottles left,
The rest went in my fathers fridge 😃

Not a brew day but an update i suppose.

Latest posts

Back