what is the best beer you have ever tasted?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you recommend any other Belgian beers to check out.
Just drinking this at the min
View attachment 66877
A classic.

Outside of the Trappiste and Lambic breweries, I'm always happy with beers from....

Brouwerij De Ranke.
Brasserie de la Senne.
Brasserie de Blaugies.
De Dolle Brouwers
De Struisse Brouwers
De Dochter van de Korenaar
Brasserie de Jandrain-Jandrenouille.

Hopefully, they're all still going post covid. I'm a bit out of the loop as to what's new on the scene in Belgium. Fresh research required.

Can you recommend any other Belgian beers to check out.
Like so many drinks whilst on holiday, it can be as much about the place and people.
Two drinks I remember well, in Namur at le cafe des arts, had Houppe, brewed in the town, has a shop. The other was watching the cycling in Leige. On the old finish up the hill there was a stall selling La Redoutable, a triple blond bier of Liege named after the hill.
Neither are monument beers but I'd happily drink them.

Rochefort 10 is my pick. I particularly enjoy it in a little bar call I'nt Klein Stadhuis next to the Cloth Hall in Ypres. Another one I've enjoyed is draught Gouden Carolus in 2Be in Bruges.

A pint that was well ahead of its time - Pale Rider from the Kelham Island brewery attached to the Fat Cat in Sheffield. A truly awesome pint back in the day - sweetness balanced with massive US hops. I’ve not had a pint in many years, so can’t vouch for it now.

I am 40 soon, I have been hinting to the wife about going to Belgium. Biggest problem is she doesn't drink alcohol at all 🤣🤣
I am struggling to sell it to her

I am 40 soon, I have been hinting to the wife about going to Belgium. Biggest problem is she doesn't drink alcohol at all 🤣🤣
I am struggling to sell it to her

Go in late Nov / early Dec when the Christmas markets are on, they have them in many towns. Plus Buges is worth a visit any time of year and for any reason. We stayed in Ghent on the last trip, which has a Christmas market, then had a day-trip to Bruges, which did involve a trip around the Halve Maan brewery, but you don't have to do that...although their restaurant is very good, as is their beer.

Current available beers - Landlord, providing it's in the Yorkshire area not as good outside it's home turf, Westmalle dubbel and Sam Smiths oatmeal stout. Best beers ever but no longer as good as they were Bass, Worthington white shield, Old peculiar, served by gravity from a wooden barrel, and Green King Abbot ale in the days when Green King were a smaller brewery only really available around East Anglia. To be fair to GK they did lose their yeast in the early 1980s and have to restart it from the national collection.

Best beers ever? Probably black sheep bitter and blacksheep riggwelter from >10 years ago, before they went all commercial and started turning out dishwater flavoured with caramel

Latest posts

Back