What pressure to serve stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfserc

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've recent made the jump to kegging and have just completed my first oxygen free transfer to a corny, my question is, what pressure (PSI) should I be serving an oatmeal stout at? Also I'm new to my CO2 set-up so I have no idea about the difference in carbonating and serving pressure, any light that can be she'd would be a great help.

Many thanks.

If your lines are well balanced and you go with the “set and forget” carbing method then your carbing and serving pressure will be the same - use this chart as a guide:
1643270622539.jpeg

The carbonation level depends on your preference - my preference would be on the low side (although I never make stouts because I don’t drink them very often). I was just looking at a carbonation guide have bookmarked which reckons 1.8-2.4 volumes of CO2 which just sounds wrong to me, I’d probably be aiming for the low end of the green band (or even into “under-carbed” territory).

If your lines are well balanced and you go with the “set and forget” carbing method then your carbing and serving pressure will be the same - use this chart as a guide:
View attachment 61895

The carbonation level depends on your preference - my preference would be on the low side (although I never make stouts because I don’t drink them very often). I was just looking at a carbonation guide have bookmarked which reckons 1.8-2.4 volumes of CO2 which just sounds wrong to me, I’d probably be aiming for the low end of the green band (or even into “under-carbed” territory).
That's brilliant, thank you.

As Mick says, if everything is balanced you should be able to set and forget. My advice is start on the low side. It is easier to add carbonation, it is harder to remove it.

I find these two very useful for carbonation and balancing.
https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/
I would recommend a Stout spout on your tap it will give you a creamier head. I'd also aim low and see how it goes, increasing carbonation is easier than decreasing it. 1.4 would be my starting point, too much CO2 also gives too much bite from the CO2 which will overly sharpen the taste of your stout.

Latest posts

Back