What should I do with unwanted Woodfordes Wherry Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentish Man

Reaction score
Back in January during the Wilko sale I purchased a number of Wherry kits (and others), at the time I had been kit brewing for about a year and had done 30 or so batches, I loved Wherry and it ranked very high as my favourite kit.

I had been modifying kits by steeping grains and dry hopping and I thought my resulting beers were the dogs dangly bits. I was WRONG !

Since Christmas I have had a lot of spare time on my hands and my inquisitive nature got the better of me, I decided to try Dry Extract Kits, my first was the Way To Amarillo kit from BrewUK . FANTASTIC

This lead me to splash some Cash on a Turkey Fryer from Amazon and try All Grain BIAB, WHOAH , now we are talking.

With 5 brews in the bag ( sorry for the pun) I honestly cant see me drinking a Woodfordes Wherry , (brewed short, steeped, or dry hopped) ever again . So to my question:

Should I attempt some form of brew boiling the Wherry and use it as an extract with hop additions (Ideas welcome) or should I simply offer them for sale without reserve on fleabay? :wha:

Given that you bought them in the sale, you shouldn't lose too much money by putting them up for auction. Having said that, beer is beer and although you've moved on from kits, the wherry would be a good way of keeping stocks up if you find yourself with limited time.

I'm sure someone near you would take them off your hands for the price you paid selling on ebay has a cost so you may lose out. I'd have them but to far to come and get, would lose out on posting. Put them for sale on here for collection at cost price and make a new friend or keep them for a rainy day

Make them and come to tst with the beer, we will drink it for you!

sam.k said:
Make them and come to tst with the beer, we will drink it for you!

I am happy too share :cheers:

If you are passing San Antonio Ibiza this summer look me up, as that's where these beers will be brewed. :eek:

Stick the yeast in the fridge and keep the cans for a rainy day/equipment failure/AG cock-up or whatever. I did exactly what you did, though I ended up with a Brewferm wit kit as well. :doh:

[EDIT - that was weird: just as I posted that, someone posted on the Brewferm wit (Tarwebier) review thread and it chased this in the Active Topics. Maybe it's a sign. :hmm:]

Sounds just like me. I've got St Peters golden ale and Nelsons revenge in the sale and I'm about to do my first Biab this Saturday. If AG is as good as they say I might keep them for when I get an empty barrel keg or I'm open for offers.... :grin:

morethanworts said:
Stick the yeast in the fridge and keep the cans for a rainy day/equipment failure/AG cock-up or whatever. ]

+1, I had a Wherry kit stored in the fridge doing nothing when my AG batch got infected and binned, couldn't be arsed with another AG brewday straightaway so got the kit on the go which I'm now enjoying, otherwise stocks would have been critical :shock:

Brewing a kit after so many AG brews just highlights the difference in flavour and proves that kits do have a slight 'twang' to them despite how good they are and how well they are fermented, they are not a patch on AG.

BREW THEM UP AND THROW A PARTY, INVITE YOUR NEIGHBOURS ROUND AND OFFER THE REMAINING KIT AS A PRIZE TO THE PERSON WITH THE MOST RIDICULOUS OUTFIT ... just an idea :rofl:

Tean Buns said:
BREW THEM UP AND THROW A PARTY, INVITE YOUR NEIGHBOURS ROUND AND OFFER THE REMAINING KIT AS A PRIZE TO THE PERSON WITH THE MOST RIDICULOUS OUTFIT ... just an idea :rofl:

Definite +1 for that :drunk:

My thought would be based around if you think they owe you anything money wise. If they do then flog them. If not then keep them for parties/camping trip/bbq etc. Or just for experimenting. I've got a load of kits i picked up cheap i'm using for just that, they only cost a couple of quid each so if they are a failed experiment it doesn't matter!

You'd be surprised how often a failed experiment turns out to be a successful experiment if kept long enough. I constantly find that home brewing is a very forgiving hobby in that sense - its all about time!!

Back