What's on your to brew list?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Juicebox Clone - Monday
2. Mosaic Pale Ale - Wednesday/Thursday
3. Belgian Dubbel - Saturday
4. Wee Heavy - Sometime the next week

1&2 with Kveik, fermented at 36c in a water bath, hopefully 1st brew will be done by the 2nd brew day, then brew my first belgian style brew for ageing, same as brew 4 in reference to the ageing.

Oooh is it your own recipe on the Juicebox clone? Have you brewed it before? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Oooh is it your own recipe on the Juicebox clone? Have you brewed it before? I'd be interested in seeing that.
Yes, brewed it twice now, so on v3, recipe is basically the same just adding more peel this time and using a different kveik.
Did a side by side on v1 and the wife gave me good feedback as it's one of her favourite pale styles.
I think it just fell short on the orange notes, so I will bump up the peel and see. it's a simple Grist. would you like the current recipe?

Yes, brewed it twice now, so on v3, recipe is basically the same just adding more peel this time and using a different kveik.
Did a side by side on v1 and the wife gave me good feedback as it's one of her favourite pale styles.
I think it just fell short on the orange notes, so I will bump up the peel and see. it's a simple Grist. would you like the current recipe?
Yeah I'd love to have a look, cheers

Yeah I'd love to have a look, cheers

Based on 23 litre batch and 75% eff

5.57kg Pale malt
290g Carapils
24g Citra First wort hop
12.5g Simcoe 15mins
12g Citra 15mins
20g sweet orange peel 10mins
15g bitter peel 10mins
12g Simcoe 5mins
12g Citra 5mins
10g Simcoe flameout
10g Citra flameout

50g Simcoe dry hop 4 days
50g Citra dry hop 4 days

first time I used Safale s05 and since then Kveik.
Ragnar the 2nd time and will be 5g of voss from lallemand.

Cheers

It's getting a bit too hot already. I walk into where the beer is fermenting and it feels really nice and cool, but it's 23C. The ground water is already too warm to quickly cool the beer, and it's only May and we're only 200 miles south of Poole! I can feel the kveik coming on.

High gravity, high temperature, and underpitch. So 5 gallons of barley wine, pitching at 35º should be a nice challenge :)
Ha already got 5 gallons of a 10% barley wine conditioning in a keg waiting to be bottled and set aside for Christmas. I
Come to mention it Iam probably due a taster

1. An actual beer for drinking rather than constantly pissing about.
2. Daleside Monkeywrench. They won't give me the recipe.
3. Something with munich because I've never had any and see it in all the big-boy recipes.
4. Something that gets me more fanny.
5. Shipyard or Ghost Ship.
6. A nice dark beer like the one I kegged and started drinking at midnight Christmas eve and was finished by dinner time on Boxing day. It was really nice and I bet it would be really nice if it wasn't shot in the paddock.
7. Something to give me extra vim and vigour if beer #4 turns out as I'd like.

Once the beers in the brew freezer are done I'm going to do a wheat with voss at the top limit with no orange peel but with coriander to see if the yeast brings enough orange.

I plan on making a NEIPA in the next week or so. I also plan on an IPA based on Pliny the Elder but with a lower ABV and reduced IBU. I have made a couple of Pliny clones that have turned out great but I want something more seasonable.
This year I also want to make a porter based on black forest gateaux but will probably wait for winter for that one

1. An actual beer for drinking rather than constantly pissing about.
2. Daleside Monkeywrench. They won't give me the recipe.
3. Something with munich because I've never had any and see it in all the big-boy recipes.
4. Something that gets me more fanny.
5. Shipyard or Ghost Ship.
6. A nice dark beer like the one I kegged and started drinking at midnight Christmas eve and was finished by dinner time on Boxing day. It was really nice and I bet it would be really nice if it wasn't shot in the paddock.
7. Something to give me extra vim and vigour if beer #4 turns out as I'd like.

Once the beers in the brew freezer are done I'm going to do a wheat with voss at the top limit with no orange peel but with coriander to see if the yeast brings enough orange.
Let me know how the wheat with Voss turns out. I'm calling mine "Librarian", because it tastes like musty jumpers and dusty books.

Coopers Real Ale kit..

Long time all grain brewer. Haven't done a canned kit in 23 years. Got to give one a go to see how they've changed. Lots of people say they are a lot better. Would have to be spectacular to give up grain brewing.

Can't criticize them if you haven't made one. Hoping I'm pleasantly surprised. Doesn't have to be great, just good.

Recipes and ingredients ready to go, in no particular order.

1) A Belgian IPA.
2) A traditional style Vossaøl using Ebbergarden Kveik.
3) Citra Galaxy IPA using the Kveik.
4) An open fermentation Quadrupel.
5) A low ABV (1.5-2%) Pale Ale.
6) A partigyled Smoked Barleywine/Red Ale.
7) American Brown Ale.
8) First Gold SMASH Saison.

2) A traditional style Vossaøl using Ebbergarden Kveik.
Inspired by Mika Laitinen's new book, I've got vossaøl on my to do list, too. Still at the stage of formulating a recipe and trying to determine whether the so-called juniper in my rockery is kosher or just some headache inducing ornamental variety. Where did you get your recipe?
Edit: So as not to encourage a needless purchase, Laitinen's book is about sahti and not vossaøl. He only makes passing reference to vossaøl hence my need for a recipe.

Last edited:
Next up will be an old peculiar clone, not very seasonal, but a very reliable tasty beer.
After that a session US pale, maybe with falconers flight blend.
Also have a pack of Voss Kveik, so planning a brew using this

Next on my list is a sweet stout because I’m almost out of my current batch.

After that I’m thinking about another IPA - probably a more dry IPA because I have two already conditioning that are on the sweeter side.

Then a bitter. I have a good variety of brews but no bitters at the moment.

I'm still in my infancy as an AG brewer (next will be number 5) but now with access to a brew fridge and feeling like I can get some decent beers made, I really want to get going...

1. a porter along similar lines as Fullers London, ish
2. a re-brew of my first ever all grain, a Citra IPA (and doing away with 10% crystal malt as per first recipe which was a mistake...)
3. A more "basic" bitter- I have never brewed one and it might encourage my dad to try some of what I brew.

Like the sound of the Citra / Galaxy IPA too @Sadfield- I love Citra; have just got a Galaxy IPA conditioning in the garage; and have never used Kveik but would like to!

Inspired by Mika Laitinen's new book, I've got vossaøl on my to do list, too. Still at the stage of formulating a recipe and trying to determine whether the so-called juniper in my rockery is kosher or just some headache inducing ornamental variety. Where did you get your recipe?
Edit: So as not to encourage a needless purchase, Laitinen's book is about sahti and not vossaøl. He only makes passing reference to vossaøl hence my need for a recipe.
The recipe is my own, although not much of a recipe, more a process. Inspired my Lars Marius Garshol's book and blog.

Pale malt and Munich mashed with Juniper infused liquor. I'll then boil with a small hop addition for as long as patience allows, cool then pitch. I'm going to aim for around 9%, but try to be quite loose judging things. Maybe weighing and measuring after I've made the decisions just to record what I did.

Coopers Real Ale kit..

Long time all grain brewer. Haven't done a canned kit in 23 years. Got to give one a go to see how they've changed. Lots of people say they are a lot better. Would have to be spectacular to give up grain brewing.

Can't criticize them if you haven't made one. Hoping I'm pleasantly surprised. Doesn't have to be great, just good.
I was a big user of Coopers kits (albeit with extra hops, grain steeps, sometimes minimashes etc) but the Real Ale was one I didn't get on with. It's got an odd sort of fruity bitterness I didn't like, maybe its the Pride of Ringwood hops that I know Coopers use. But that's maybe just me
Anyway in addition to the AuPA which I regularly made up, the Bootmakers and Innkeepers Daughter are OK, as is the English Bitter for something a bit darker. I didn't like the TC IPA very much, a bit of a disappointment.
But if you are fancy a go at a stout either of the two Coopers stouts are fine, in my view getting up there with best kits I did, with the Irish slightly better than the Original.

Back