Whats the best yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equiliser

Reaction score
Hi all,

since i have been brewing from tins i have noticed more and more people replacing the kit yeast with different yeast
Is there an easy way to know what yeast will work with lager/bitter/stout etc
also i notice yeast in these replacement packs have more that the kit yeasts so do you put all in or stay to the amount in the original pack??

Confused.com

Any help will do

Thanks all

equiliser said:
also i notice yeast in these replacement packs have more that the kit yeasts so do you put all in or stay to the amount in the original pack??
Tony, or some of the others will be able to explain pitching rates better than I could, but you use the whole pack. That's the whole point, budget kits are usually ok with the yeasts supplied because you're adding sugar, and as far as yeasties are concerned, sugar is dead easy.

The problem arises with premium kits and double the amount of malt extract (complicated sugars), you've got a short-staffed team of general labourer yeasties who look at each-other and say “WTF are we meant to do with this lot?” What you need is a full strength team of craftsmen.

It really depends on the beer you're brewing.

The main differentiation is between lager and ale yeast, but there are also different strains of each which produce different flavor profiles. Some are fruity, some nutty, some take your beer right down to 1.002 for a dry beer, some are meant for things like Hefeweizen in which case, the yeast doesn't really settle and remains suspended.

When you come up with a recipe, the best thing to do is to post and ask people's advice. Once you've used a variety of yeasts you'll soon learn which ones work best for you, your palette and your beer styles :thumb:

Latest posts

Back