What's the crappiest place in the UK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the other side of the world I'm intrigued. What makes a place shitty. Is it crime rates, employment opportunities, climate, a feeling of menace, other?
Asking cos I've been to some of the places mentioned and quite enjoyed it...
Interesting point as some of the roughest and poorest places I have been I have received the best welcomes and had the most fun.

The two things abut Peterborough that were always good were the Cathedral Precincts and the Embankment. Both nice for a summer stroll. I imagine they can't have messed those up?

I've never been to Skem, although I only live up the road!

The two things abut Peterborough that were always good were the Cathedral Precincts and the Embankment. Both nice for a summer stroll. I imagine they can't have messed those up?

I've never been to Skem, although I only live up the road!
I went to see Cardiff City play Peterborough a few years ago. The Palmerston Arms was a good pub, so that's three good things

I know it! My first local was the New Inn, just along the road from the Palmerston (although I have an idea it's gone now).

Interesting point as some of the roughest and poorest places I have been I have received the best welcomes and had the most fun.
When I started as a GP in Stirling I was part time at a city centre practice and we covered the then infamous Raploch part of town. I was a bit of an innocent to such places and didn't really know how rough it was, I turned up to visit an elderly woman and in the street outside there were a group of young children (during the school day) playing around a burning car tyre in the middle of the road. On going into the house, two rather imposing large men peered at me, with one shouting upstairs, 'Ma I'm just goin' outside to keep a look over the doc's car'. I was told later that bringing a nice looking car (it was only small one) in there was asking for trouble and it was better to park a few streets away and walk.
Less than a mile away and I'd be visiting smart stone houses with huge bay windows and leafy streets.

Most of Raploch was knocked down, a really good school built and the whole place turned around, but yes there were some pretty unpleasant places I stepped into in those days. As for 'no go places' I think it's who you are, how you approach them and what part of a town or city you are in... there's rough parts in most towns and cities.

My brother lives in Broad Green but for some reason supports Tranmere Rovers. I went to a match with him once. Birkenhead didn't strike me as a place to go back to.
Tranmere is not too bad as its in Prenton, but Birkenhead is one of the most awful places ever. I believe in the late 90's early 00's The North End Estate was branded the worst in the country by a few red tops for all the shenanigans that went on.

Which of the places mentioned have you been to, BTW?
Blackpool, stayed in a B&B where the owner was quite mad. Several of her husbands had died mysteriously. Morecambe, had a paddle with my trousers rolled up eating an ice cream. It was hailing. Huddersfield, watched the All Blacks thrash Italy, good pubs, scenic countryside and amazing fry up breakfasts. Holyhead, did a little work there when the Anglesey smelter was operating.
So most places I was just passing through/touristing, which is not the same as living there, but didn't find them particularly grim...

Last edited:
Wrexham has gone to the dogs. It was once a very busy market town until the genius council moved the shops to a retail site away from the town centre. Now they're upping sticks as the rent on some of the big shops..MS,Debenham (shut) is around half a million a year
It's a ghost town...phone shops,pound shops and spice heads...

Wrexham has gone to the dogs. It was once a very busy market town until the genius council moved the shops to a retail site away from the town centre. Now they're upping sticks as the rent on some of the big shops..MS,Debenham (shut) is around half a million a year
It's a ghost town...phone shops,pound shops and spice heads...
Charity shops, bookies, coffee shops and hair dressers, like very many town centres, not just Wrexham

I spent the first 27yrs of my life in Bicester, it was a crappy commuter town with squaddies. New houses kept being built with no thought to how the occupants were going to entertain themselves.

Latest posts

Back