Whats wrong with my hydrometer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gayle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just racked a couple of wines, on the first the FG read at 0.990, the next one looked like 0.980. I don't even know if homebrew/wine can go that low! So I tested it in a bottle of water at 20 degrees (tested with digi thermometer).

DSC01408_zpsf00e56a7.jpg

I've ordered a new one, which will hopefully be here soon. I hope the campden tabs won't knock out the yeast completely, if fermentation hasn't finished yet. What could have caused the old one to break? :wha:

strange one that...

your hydrometer has become more dense.

To do that it must either:

- have become smaller in volume which, being glass, is quite unlikely.
- have become more massive. I suspect a leak...

fermentall said:
Could be the inner scale has slid down giving a false reading ;)

:lol: I don't think there is even enough room to get that meniscus on the scale even if the paper were right at the top!! Gotta be something more serious...

Thanks for your replies, I went and looked at it again and noticed theres a bit of water inside it! DH pointed out a crack on the bottom, where it likely got in. Mystery solved :thumb:

I've no idea how long this has been like this :lol: my trial jar isn't tall enough to show that something has feremented dry, so I dont use it much. I think that was my third hydrometer in a year :roll:

Hey! My wife's fave choc bar is Wispa Gold!
But she's more of a crisp person really

oldbloke said:

Was just about to say what thread were you reading, then I spotted it :lol: :lol:

eggman said:
oldbloke said:

Was just about to say what thread were you reading, then I spotted it :lol: :lol:

ISTR sigs are stuck on dynamically, so when G eventually changes hers my comment will seem very mysterious

oldbloke said:
eggman said:
oldbloke said:

ISTR sigs are stuck on dynamically, so when G eventually changes hers my comment will seem very mysterious
We can just blame it on age :lol: :lol:

oldbloke said:
eggman said:
oldbloke said:

They are also not stuck on by Tapatalk...

...that's 20 minutes wasted last night that I won't ever get back...

:rofl:

Back