WHC Einstein yeast is a slow starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDE79

Reaction score
Pitched some WHC Einstein yeast for a Helles on a Thursday. Temp is 11 degrees C. It's now Sunday and still nothing. Nutrients used and aerated. 11g of yeast in 20l. OG 1.060. Not used lager yeast before so no idea if it's just slow. I suspect I'm being impatient and just used to ale yeast reactions. Anyone else used it before?

Last edited:
Pitched some WHC Einstein yeast for a Helles on a Thursday. Temp is 11 degrees C. It's now Sunday and still nothing. Nutrients used and aerated. 11g of yeast in 20l. OG 1.060. Not used lager yeast before so no idea if it's just slow. I suspect I'm being impatient and just used to ale yeast reactions. Anyone else used it before?
Just used this yeast for the first time myself, schwazbier - black lager 23 litres, pitched at 11.5 C yesterday.

From the airlock I can see the liquid, diiluted starsan in my case, has been pushed right round, but not yet bubbling.

Although I have followed the directions on the packet, which gives a pitch rate of 1g per litre so I used 2 x 11g packs (22g). For 20 litres you should have pitched 20g

Not enough yeast has been pitched, so the yeast is overwhelmed. Should have added 2 packs or built a starter for it.

I pitched 2 packs for a Märzen and although it took 48 hours to show any airlock activity, I could see the gravity falling on my tilt. In my experience with liquid yeast starters for lagers, they all take a fair while to "appear" active, unless I do a two litre starter.

I'll be putting Pilsner wort the Yeast cake this coming Saturday, that usually goes off like a rocket.

Latest posts

Back