where to buy nitrogen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye29

Reaction score
hy all ive been told to make stout creamy use nitrogen but where can i get this from regards ste

dye29 said:
hy all ive been told to make stout creamy use nitrogen but where can i get this from regards ste
Firstly, are you in possession of corny kegs??
The reason I ask is that 70/30 nitrogen/oxygen mix is at a seriously high pressure, any attempt to charge a nylon keg could end in disaster.. :whistle:
To force carbonate with the gas mix you need to really crank the pressure to carbonate and reduce to dispense.

BB

Whereabouts are you?

is it safe injecting n2o into stout as ive herd it can kill you or is that ********

BarnsleyBrewer said:
dye29 said:
Firstly, are you in possession of corny kegs??
The reason I ask is that 70/30 nitrogen/oxygen mix is at a seriously high pressure, any attempt to charge a nylon keg could end in disaster.. :whistle:
To force carbonate with the gas mix you need to really crank the pressure to carbonate and reduce to dispense.

BB

Whereabouts are you?

Is this the main reason we use CO2 in our cornies then? I've been thinking for the last few days about nitrogen or nitrogen/CO2 mix for use at home in order to achieve pub quality carbonation.

dye29 said:
is it safe injecting n2o into stout as ive heard it can kill you or is that ********
It doesn't really make any difference whether you're using carbon dioxide, nitrogen or any gas mix, the cylinders are at colossal pressures and should be handled with the utmost respect. Then you will need the right regulator for the cylinder.

The difference would only matter if you had leaks and were using the cylinders and kegs in an unventilated area, such as down a cellar.

Carbon dioxide and nitrogen will both kill you, but with an elevated concentration of carbon dioxide you may have a few seconds to get out to somewhere you can breathe.

Try holding your breath for a while and the build-up of CO2 in your system (hypercapnia) will force you to take another breath, you know it's happening.

An elevated level of nitrogen will kill you very nicely and you won't even know it's happening, or might even enjoy it because of a condition known to divers as the narks, or nitrogen narcosis. Think 'laughing gas'.

you pop the pint inside the machine for a few secs and it creates the creamy head for you - there a utube vid somewhere showing it working on beers and guinness.

Being old, I find I don't really like the feel of nitrogen-bubbled beer. Much prefer the bigger bubbles you get with good old traditional CO2. Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back