all grain queries for a beginner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fximpact25

Reaction score
hi all ive been on and off for years now making lager kits like coopers there straight forward I know .
so I fancy making from scratch just lagers and pilsners but don't have a clue at all ive been watching YouTube etc so my question is to do this as a beginner do I need loads of fancy equipment or can I get like a brewziller then use my fermenter I have, also is the ingredients pricy to make batches really don't no what too do please advise thanks ste

Rats, wrote without properly reading! I would still start with a simple AG and then look at moving into more complex types or anything which needs more particular conditions.

I've been brewing for three years, at least, and still use my original fermenting bucket I bought when making kits. Personally I am very happy my my brewzilla gen 3.1. I have no experience with the more recent gen 4 though.

You don't need fancy equipment.
If you don't mind a little inconvenience of transferring between vessels, you can do brew in a bag with just a water boiler.
There are plenty.on here making good beer with either a big stove top stock pot or an inexpensive boiler (eg Peco).

Many start their AG journey this way and their original boiler becomes their sparge water heater as they upgrade.

Tbh YouTube is fine, and will show you how, but a good book will explain why.

Brewing isn't hard, but you do need to understand it. It is not a single stage all done "make a sandwich", it's comes together over a few days. Understanding it saves it going downhill when you take your eye off it 👍🏻👍🏻

I say that as someone you had brought on a few new brewers and they really have surprised me and taught me a lot.

Also consider the guy on YouTube isn't using your water, your kit, or buying the same grain. No doubt they brewed indoors and many of us don't?

I was similar to you and made kits on and off for years before moving to all grain, I bought the following kit which comes with a peco boiler, chiller and ingredients for your first brew. I intended to use this to see if I enjoyed the process and then upgrade but I ended up using it for years before eventually getting a Brewzilla gen 4. The Brewzilla makes things easier but I would not say it makes better beer

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.u...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-3859.html

. The Brewzilla makes things easier but I would not say it makes better beer
Spot on.
It's about the time it takes. Ask yourself if you have enough time.

Brew in a bag will probably take all day.
An all in one (AIO) machine will take 6 or so hours.
With the right machine and good process, you can get it down to 90 mins the day you boil.

I started off biab and v quickly bought a machine.

I also have a newbie question - is it much cheaper brewing from all grain vs kits? At the moment I start realising that I brewed 3 kits in about 4 weeks and will do 2 more by the end of this month. And, even more shocking, I did not drink even a tenth of what I made. So, about 100-105 litres of ale and beer made, I spent about £125
My water seems to be fine for IPA, and I can get water from Tesco for lagers, but may jump into water profiling if I start making good malt

I also have a newbie question - is it much cheaper brewing from all grain vs kits?

It depends on what you're brewing, a simple SMASH will be cheaper than a hop heavy NEIPA, an Imperial stout will cost more than a session ale.

When I did kits the decent ones cost around £25 - £30.
My average AG brew of 18L will use
5kg grain ( say £10, cheaper if you get a sack )
100gm hops ( average £ 7 )
Yeast ( average £ 5 )

So basically not much difference if you want to keep it simple.
Although making your own recipes you usually end up with extra grain/hops left over to go into future brews.

Yeah, doesn’t look like it is much cost effective. And, so far, I don’t find it interesting making my recipes. Cool, I will stick to kits for now

Just get your kit over time. I got into AG pretty quick after starting with extracts but I took about a year and a half getting my current set up together. Obviously the BZ was a big outlay but I didn't buy anything for a few months after that. Plenty of other options to an all in one but convenience steered my decision.

It's not just cost. The quality is also much improved.
That said I have an house IPA, that is under a tenner.

I would say though, if your hearts not in it, stick with kits.
I wonder how quality improves. Maybe I’m lucky for not feeling the difference, I definitely cannot say what aromas in my ales, except bitterness - it is usually tasty and carbonated, the rest I cannot tell much 😀

Back