Wherry Stuck - 3 Weeks in the Vat and 1014/5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napolean

Reaction score
Hi all,

I usually look to this forum for ideas when things don't go according to plan and usually my questions have been answered elsewhere, but I need to ask for advice on this one.

I'm a total novice with home brew and my latest batch is a Woodfordes Wherry. The whole process has been a bit of a disaster so far, but to cut to the chase, it's been sat in the vat for 22 days and it's only got to 1015. It's probably my fault as the temperature may have been too low. I stirred it after about 10 days and then I stirred it again on day 14 and tried to make sure it was warmer. It seemed to help it along a bit, but it's been doing very little for the past week. I'm reluctant to stir it again as I've read that its risky. I've also read about kick starting it with more yeast, but have I missed the window for doing that? Do you think I should just bottle it and get it out the vat asap?

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Welcome Along.

I'd say that's going to be the lot, get it in bottles, get it supped. Chalk it up to experience and check the temps for the next one

Welcome. :cheers: I would say you are not far off a finished FG for Wherry. Leave it alone for a few more days and check the gravity hasn't changed. If not then go ahead and bottle/keg. Then leave it alone for at least 4 weeks to mature and condition. Then enjoy. You haven't done anything wrong and the lower temp fermentation is fine.

My Wherry has stuck at about 1016 so I pitched some more yeast on Saturday. I'm hoping it will finish around 1010. By the time I bottle it, it will have had around 3 weeks in the FV. Might be ready to drink in the new year!

its the time of year for slow and stuck ferments !
Most peoples problems will stem from the low air temperatures at the moment, the yeast will still be working but at a very slow pace. Try and keep the ferment temps up to around 21C and things will be ok. Keep the brew covered with a lid and give it extra time...

Next brew will have temperature control of some sort but need to get the current one bottled first. It was about 18C when I checked but probably gets cooler at night.

rpt said:
It was about 18C when I checked but probably gets cooler at night.

That's probably it then - my brews tend to slow down completely or stop once the temp drops to 18 or below. As others have said, 21c seems to be the ideal.

Don't worry too much though, get it bottled and it should be fine - I've done a couple of Wherries and they don't seem to go particularly low. In fact, I think the yeast supplied with all the kits isn't the best, I've had lower FGs since I've been Extract brewing with separate packs of yeast.

A Wherry is a sweetish beer, on the lines of Hobgoblin. If it fermented too low that sweetness would be reduced...therefore it wouldn't be a Wherry... :D

only a quick one...otherwise you will be deemed to be enjoying yourself.

Latest posts

Back