White Labs 810 San Fran Lager Yeast Cell Count?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
My next brew is Greg Hughes Cream Ale. I'm doing my usual 11.5 litre batch and I'm using White Labs 810 San Francisco Lager Yeast and fermenting as close to 15 degrees as I can.

When I input the Yeast into Beersmith, it's telling me I need around 240 billion cells for this size of batch! Now with other brews it usually indicates around 100 billion is good enough for an identically sized batch.

Do I really need to add a 3 litre starter to this size batch (which should give me the appropriate amount of cells according to beersmith)? I have read that Lagers need a decent starter, however this is more of a pseudo as I won't be lagering and fermenting at ale temps.

I have no problem with putting together a decent sized starter, but I'm wondering if it's entirely necessary in this case?

EDIT: SG is 1.055

Scrub the above. I am officially an idiot! It's in fact WLP001 California Ale Yeast that I have.. Brain fade..

Haha! Never mind.

Incidentally, I brewed a 23L batch using WLP810 in a 1L starter with an OG of 1.048. Just in case you fancied using that yeast in the future.

Dave

Haha! Never mind.

Incidentally, I brewed a 23L batch using WLP810 in a 1L starter with an OG of 1.048. Just in case you fancied using that yeast in the future.

Dave

That seems more like it. I will no doubt have to try it at some point! :)

Latest posts

Back