Who knows something about Brett beers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've got a Brett Saison that I've made with the yeast bay Brett/saison blend yeast.

It's a recipe that I've crafted myself. But I've never had any experience of Brett beers. But I have made and tasted Plenty of saisons.

I really I've got no idea of what I've made is any good.

Anyone out there have experience of Brett beers and want to do a bottle swap with another Brett beer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know nothing about Brett beers, but since I got 2 Brett yeasts in the brewuk lucky dip a while back I have done a very small amount of research just to get 2 recipes. One has been provided by Greg after I asked him for a recipe:
https://recipes.brewuk.co.uk/view-recipe/400

The other I got from a website after speaking to someone in a homebrew shop:
https://yeastismybitch.com/2015/06/09/menage-a-trois-a-100-brett-ahem-sacchromyces-trois-pale-ale/

Im planning on using either Amarillo or galaxy as the single hop instead of Enigma as per his recipe

Im buying the ingredients for these and a few other recipes this weekend. So a bottle swap is on the cards but probably not for a few months yet!

My brett beers aren't ready atm but I have tasted a lot (including bretted saisons) and would love to give you an opinion. I can send you something else from my collection in the meantime and when my brett beers are ready I'll send you one of those.

My brett beers aren't ready atm but I have tasted a lot (including bretted saisons) and would love to give you an opinion. I can send you something else from my collection in the meantime and when my brett beers are ready I'll send you one of those.

Sounds like a great plan Steve. It's one of things where I think it's alright. But you've got nothing to gauge it against. So you've got no way of knowing.

What have you got in your stocks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great, I can give you a choice of the following:
A Kolsch 5.2%
A US style saison 6.1% abv
A Belgian quadrupel 10.2% abv
A 20 month old imperial stout 9.6% abv

I have brewed with yeast bays Saison blend #1, but I didn't think that was Brett. Which product is it?

Great, I can give you a choice of the following:
A Kolsch 5.2%
A US style saison 6.1% abv
A Belgian quadrupel 10.2% abv
A 20 month old imperial stout 9.6% abv

Ooh the imperial stout sounds awesome!!!

Let's get this swap going.

I might put 6 bottles to one side for 6 months to see how it ages too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh the imperial stout sounds awesome!!!

Let's get this swap going.

I might put 6 bottles to one side for 6 months to see how it ages too.

I had a feeling you'd pick that one :D
I'll try to get it in the post this week if you PM your details.

Well I drank this over the holidays, thanks @Hoddy for letting me try it, tasting notes follow:

Appearance
Hazy orange, fluffy white head with excellent retention.

Aroma
Sweet pineapple and citrus fruits with prominent leathery brett funk. Very nice.

Flavour
Surprising sweet fruitiness initially but a long dry finish which is very well balanced. The earthy dry brett flavours are very noticeable but not overpowering. Slight hint of peppery spice.

Overall Impression
This is very good indeed, I could drink this all night. The yeasty flavours work very well with your hop choice, brett with tropical fruity hops is a match made in heaven. Tbh I probably wouldn't have known this was a saison blend, it's a little too sweet and hop forward, but that's not a criticism because I think it is fantastic as it is. To me it's more like a bretted IPA (one of my favourite styles).
I think you've got the balance spot on, it's very drinkable and I'd be extremely happy if I'd brewed it :hat:

Cheers for the feedback steve.

This just helps me so much to get things right in my head that and confirm I've approached a Brett beer in the right way for my first attempt.

I think I know what your describing and you've confirmed what I think i need to work on to improve this beer, and future Brett beers. Of which I can feel a Brett IPA variant of this coming onto the brew schedule very soon.

Thanks again for the honest feedback [emoji106][emoji106]

And I'm not going mad when I thought "hmmm this might be quite good"

Latest posts

Back