wilkos 30 bottle kit - can i use multiple 5l bottles ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushagrape

Reaction score
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. (Originally London)
hello there wine magicians, could i use a 30 bottle kit from wilkos and split into 5x 5l bottles ? ive got tons of those things lying around and it would save some money on buying a thingy bin, what do you think ? (probably think hes an tightarse)

You could but its going to be a right pain dividing the juice then diluting and splitting the yeast and finings etc, you do not need to spend a lot on a fermenting vessel (bucket) and don't even need one with an airlock hole just lay the lid on the top to let the CO2 escape and keep the nastiest out.

Some kits do not instruct you to rack I use two often (WineBuddy & The Range store make your own) and neither do, have a look at the clearing stage of the instructions.

I agree with the above, get two bins one for racking.
I'd also recommend getting a Wilkos pressure barrel as they a great for clearing the wine (get the one without the CO valve it's much cheaper). The advantage is it's sealed but if the wine starts fermenting again it will allow excess pressure to escape. And you can also sneak the odd sample from the tap before bottling :)

As a compromise, you could get the Wilco 5 gallon fermenter at £15, which has a tap for bottling. Better still, get a 20 litre polypin and avoid bottling altogether!

Back