Windows 8

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbeer

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to work Windows 8? I have just got a new netbook which has Windows 8. It seems very different from windows 7 which I have on our laptop. The apps seem to be very slow and I can't figure out how to work them. Things such as mail don't seem to give you the options to add folders or even send a message. It's nothing like Outlook. Calendar also doesn't seem to work like the one in Outlook. Also how do you get to what was in accessories such as calculator? There isn't a simple button on the bottom left like 7? Any ideas anyone? I did manage to get to Desktop and Google Chrome so that bit is familiar at least. But the rest!!!! Not convinced but maybe it's just me being a bit of a ludite. :wha:

I'm with you 100% Bob... :thumb: Got the swmbo a new laptop on Friday for a prezzie, that has windows 8... :twisted: Bill Gates must be laughing his t**s off....I know if you scroll to the right you'll find calculator there....I'm staying with what I've got...

I work part time pcworld, give it a week and you will get used to it :thumb:

Any qs just ask.

The Swmbo may... :lol: but not me I'll stick with what I know...I can zip around a doz tabs like a good un. I lost hours yesterday trying to work out just a few simple things....then I found out this morning on a tech site that Mr Gates won't let win8 play ball with Firefox...so Mrs DJ will have to play with IE.. :eek:

Firefox works fine on mine??? Make sure you set it as default in the settings.

Yup did that, it worked (sort of)..but IE worked better ..can't find the site now where it said that Win 8 does not like Firefox.

Chrome works great on Windows 8.

To find any of the apps like calculator, notepad, or anything in fact just start typing it from the main interface and you'll find it comes up pretty quickly. It's different, but I'm getting used to it and so far I quite like it.

I decided to give Google Chrome a go. I'm surprised how good it is. Anyway it's better than IE so I have gone with that. Instead of $soft O$$ice I have downloaded Open Office. I did try Thunderbird for emails , but decided that as I have a Gmail account I would use their email online. But I can't figure out the mail program that has come with Win 8 so I have given up with that and the calender. I did find calculator after much faffing. But to say this is an improvement they are taking the pi$$.

bobsbeer said:
I have downloaded Open Office. I did try Thunderbird for emails , but decided that as I have a Gmail account I would use their email online. But I can't figure out the mail program that has come with Win 8 so I have given up with that and the calender. I did find calculator after much faffing. But to say this is an improvement they are taking the pi$$.

:lol: :lol: Know how you feel mate...I always use Open office and Thunderbird...and agree with the last bit of your post. :rofl:

I downloaded windows 8 on Friday and I love it. I Sussed it all out pretty quickly and love the way it works and the speed at which it runs. I seem be the only one though (and I do run it on a 23" touchscreen).

I downloaded windows 8 on Friday and I love it. I Sussed it all out pretty quickly and love the way it works and the speed at which it runs. I seem be the only one though (and I do run it on a 23" touchscreen).

The Goatreich said:
Chrome works great on Windows 8.

To find any of the apps like calculator, notepad, or anything in fact just start typing it from the main interface and you'll find it comes up pretty quickly. It's different, but I'm getting used to it and so far I quite like it.

OK....I'm getting it also now.. :wha: not as bad as first thought. With a bit of help off youtube we're getting there...I should be ready when the time comes to upgrade my laptop. :pray:

Latest posts

Back