Wine kit instructions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebob01

Reaction score
Hi

I am considering getting a 6 bottle beaverdale sauvignon blanc kit and have read through the instructions online.

It states to shake the demijohn to Degas, then add finings.

Do people actually follow these instructions? It seems strange to shake it up and mix it with all the sediment....

Surely it would be best to just rack it, then degas, then add finings. Is there a reason they have stated to do it like this?

Also it states to top up with water to 4.5l, well if I want 6 bottles then it will be just short by the time it has cleared and been racked off the sediment right?

Could I top up with 500ml of apple juice and extra sugar to allow for this? Or would it spoil the wine?

Thanks

It states to shake the demijohn to Degas, then add finings.
Do people actually follow these instructions? It seems strange to shake it up and mix it with all the sediment....

I assume they suggest that so people who only have one DJ will still buy the kit, i have always followed instructions as then the finished wine is as its supposed to be.

Surely it would be best to just rack it, then degas, then add finings. Is there a reason they have stated to do it like this?

If you have a second DJ i see no reason not to do this but for ease i would follow the instructions as i said above its the way they want you to make it if racking to clear was essential they would tell you to do it.

Also it states to top up with water to 4.5l, well if I want 6 bottles then it will be just short by the time it has cleared and been racked off the sediment right?

If you fill to the base of the neck you will find you still get the full 6 bottles most DJ's hold more than 4.5 litres.

Could I top up with 500ml of apple juice and extra sugar to allow for this? Or would it spoil the wine?

You could but you risk fermentation starting again in the bottles (bottle bombs if using glass) you also wont know how the original tasted as you have added a different flavour to it, i would make the first as per instructions and see how it turns out.

Thanks for your reply.

I was considering adding the apple juice at the start to increase the volume slightly from 4.5 to 5l.

Maybe I will just make it as it is stated in the instructions for this one as you say, I've actually got a 50cl wine bottle to hand so if it is a bit short then I can just use this for the 6th bottle...

Strangely enough the dormant yeast sediment can act as finings.(for future ref).
But you are right wine is normally racked before fining.

Wine kits are a complete tried and tested product to get the results claimed its always best to follow the instructions to the letter.

How did you get on with this? I was thinking of getting a few 6 bottle kits also but I only have glass demijohns at 5litre or 25litre stainless steel which would probably give it to much headspace and I'm worried I might crack the glass if I add hottish water which I normally do if they have bentonite in the packs.

Bentonite is not needed to be added hot.
No harm in doing so but not needed
You cant have too much headspace for the primary fermentation,Only in the maturation stage does headspace become an issue.
In over 50yrs of winemaking i have NEVER once broken a demijohn.
Get those kits up and running get them on the go.!!!
Then RELAX:beer1:
you know it makes sense.

Bentonite is not needed to be added hot.
No harm in doing so but not needed
You cant have too much headspace for the primary fermentation,Only in the maturation stage does headspace become an issue.
In over 50yrs of winemaking i have NEVER once broken a demijohn.
Get those kits up and running get them on the go.!!!
Then RELAX:beer1:
you know it makes sense.
Thanks John! Shall get the 6 bottle kits ordered now.

Hi @Ebob01
I've just posted a thread about 3 of their kits.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beaverdale-wine-kits-help-advice.91545/

They recommend using a plastic demijohn 5ltr but I used glass 4.5ltr.
I did shake them but used the fermenting bung with my thumb over the hole whilst shaking to vent the gas.

The mistake I made (and should of known better from experience, was filling the demijohns rather than topping up after a few days)

Okay so my glass demijohns are 5 litre and the kit says to make it to 4.5. So you recommend just filling it to say 3 or 4 litre and then after a few days of mad fermenting top it like you would a WOW?

Okay so my glass demijohns are 5 litre and the kit says to make it to 4.5. So you recommend just filling it to say 3 or 4 litre and then after a few days of mad fermenting top it like you would a WOW?

Yes fill to the shoulder then top up when fermentation slows down, leave a bit of room for degassing when you top up especially if you are going to use a degassing wand.

Latest posts

Back