WLP 004

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1981

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, i know a few people on here have used this yeast. I brewed a guinness clone yesterday, all went well. Put the yeast in last night around 7 pm. Followed instructions on the tube, deciding not to go down the route of making a starter. Now its been around 23 hours and nothing is happening... :hmm:
The air lock is not bubbling, its flat as a fart. Opened the lid and theres a foamy type of head there. Ive put it somewhere a little warmer to see if it helps. Should i chuck in some S-04 i have or leave it a little longer???
( Yeast was well inside its best before dates aswell )

Thanks in advance

What does the foamy head look like? Is it a thick layer, or just a few bubbles on the surface?

I wouldnt add any S-04 just yet.
Simon

Hello mate, its a foamy/creamy layer, pretty thick, brownish in colour. Dont really want to put in s-04 yet but just a little concerned nothings happening...
Yours took straight off didnt it?

That sounds good :) My money would be on the FV lid not sealing well enough to allow the bubber to fart. Is the FV translucent enough to see a later of yeast at the bottom? Id say there is nothing to worry about. :thumb:

Yep. It took about three hours for mine to get going, but that was using quite a big starter, and using a screw-top FV which do seal pretty well.

Cheers
Simon

Latest posts

Back