Wood burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feknl -m8, luckily we still have part of a tonn from last year. It was £350 for doubles. Just chopped our oleaeria tree back (the only thing that grows up here) Stacked the branches on the windy side to season and we have got loads of driftwood/wood scraps. Funnily, my driftwood harvesting has become a priority.

I have even burnt dried cow pats in the past as an experiment. Works fine and smells nice! - curiously no-one else seems to have noticed this valuable resource,,, :roll:

Why is Ash cut down anyhow?
I've heard Ash is good, but it seems not to be available around here. It's all oak, beech and chestnut. Beech is the hottest. We have quite a big garden surrounded by oaks and chestnut and I'm forever strimmi g the crop of new oaks that come up from the sprouting acorns. We've allowed half a dozen to grow where they've fallen and some chestnut, too. Now in their third year, they're qu
Well established, but not "firewood" size yet. In fact, we're growing these for shade rather than wood. What has surprised me is, while these trees can reach venerable age, they seem to grow very easily and much more quickly than I had imagined when I was a "city boy".
Ash die back disease. Spreading like wildfire. Also makes it dangerous to cut because they explode. Perfectly ok once cut though.

I noticed the coal merchant near us has put his 25kg bags of smokeless up by £1.50 per bag, its normally 50p every other year.
Has the production cost of coal gone up recently? Or are they just cashing in on high energy prices?

Feknl -m8, luckily we still have part of a tonn from last year. It was £350 for doubles. Just chopped our oleaeria tree back (the only thing that grows up here) Stacked the branches on the windy side to season and we have got loads of driftwood/wood scraps. Funnily, my driftwood harvesting has become a priority.

I have even burnt dried cow pats in the past as an experiment. Works fine and smells nice! - curiously no-one else seems to have noticed this valuable resource,,,:roll:
Everyone thinks it's bull###t....lol

Re. Ash it seasons much quicker than any other wood as it has very low moisture content.

Also grows very quickly, we cut one down in the spring which grew from a self seeded sapling to about 40ft in less than ten yrs. I've got it logged and will be burning it this winter.

I also use boiler nuts but mainly to bank it down overnight, nothing like warming up by the rayburn on a cold morning and boiling the kettle on the hob for a nice cup of tea.

Out of curiosity chippy how much is a 25kg bag over there ?
Cheapest here is £13.50 a bag
ouch!
Its £9.50 per bag at the local farm merchants down the road from me. interestingly we are not supposed to be allowed to burn coal, only smokeless fuels, but he still goes through a large amount of the stuff. Probably sells more coal than smokeless actually.

ouch!
Its £9.50 per bag at the local farm merchants down the road from me. interestingly we are not supposed to be allowed to burn coal, only smokeless fuels, but he still goes through a large amount of the stuff. Probably sells more coal than smokeless actually.
Is that £9.50 fir smokeless ovoids ? Or smokey coal ?

ouch!
Also if I cross the border into Ireland it’s €40 for a 40kg bag of coal at the min.

My son owns nearly sixty acres of ancient woodland partly as an investment but as much to enjoy his hobby of chopping up wood with his large collection of axes. He has more than enough fallen trees to last him a couple of lifetimes.
Only downside is, I don't have a woodburner .......yet.

20221008_100936.jpg

Logs stashed in the green house.

I cut down 30 odd large leylandi trees when we bought our house 8 years ago, this year will be the end of the logs from them so i'm going to have to get the wallet out in January/February I reckon.

An aside, anyone got one of those fans for the top of the stove, i've got two as I bought one and Hermes lost it (as usual) and so I had another delivered and the original turned up 6 weeks later. I think they make a difference, my wife loves them (not). :laugh8:

I cut down 30 odd large leylandi trees when we bought our house 8 years ago, this year will be the end of the logs from them so i'm going to have to get the wallet out in January/February I reckon.

An aside, anyone got one of those fans for the top of the stove, i've got two as I bought one and Hermes lost it (as usual) and so I had another delivered and the original turned up 6 weeks later. I think they make a difference, my wife loves them (not). :laugh8:
My wife is stopping me buying one. She loves the intense heat in the lounge but I rather some of the heat to leave the lounge

Latest posts

Back