Wood burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is stopping me buying one. She loves the intense heat in the lounge but I rather some of the heat to leave the lounge

I definitely think I can feel the warmth up the stairs from the woodburner in the lounge now the fan is on. I'd say worth it, they aren't silent but you can't hear it if you know what I mean, and that was what the Mrs was worried about.

I definitely think I can feel the warmth up the stairs from the woodburner in the lounge now the fan is on. I'd say worth it, they aren't silent but you can't hear it if you know what I mean, and that was what the Mrs was worried about.
I think it will be handy when we go to bed. Our flue runs between the kids bedrooms and you can feel the heat in their rooms

I cut down 30 odd large leylandi trees when we bought our house 8 years ago, this year will be the end of the logs from them so i'm going to have to get the wallet out in January/February I reckon.

An aside, anyone got one of those fans for the top of the stove, i've got two as I bought one and Hermes lost it (as usual) and so I had another delivered and the original turned up 6 weeks later. I think they make a difference, my wife loves them (not). :laugh8:
You got a link to the one you have ?I was thinking about one but wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Ash die back disease. Spreading like wildfire. Also makes it dangerous to cut because they explode. Perfectly ok once cut though.
Hardly. Only dangerous if you leave it til the tree is totally dead as dead trees can do unexpected things.
We've got dieback in almost all our ash trees. The little ones are no problem but a couple of years ago I felled one that was nearly 4 feet diameter. With a a 15 inch chainsaw.
Trees are basically weeds, they only need planting if an area is totally denuded of them. Round here they spring up everywhere.

Hardly. Only dangerous if you leave it til the tree is totally dead as dead trees can do unexpected things.
We've got dieback in almost all our ash trees. The little ones are no problem but a couple of years ago I felled one that was nearly 4 feet diameter. With a a 15 inch chainsaw.
Trees are basically weeds, they only need planting if an area is totally denuded of them. Round here they spring up everywhere.

Ash trees particularly, we have a big Ash tree in the paddock and we are constantly pulling out little ones around the place. They grow fast!

those stove top fans make a hell of a difference. well worth buying one for each of your burners. They dont blow a lot of air, but do make a real difference in pulling air up and around the stove and out in to the room.
I’ve been looking at them lately and deciding if I need one. We are currently burning calco as it gets the radiators warm in around an hour but the downside it the heat in the living room is too much for me but no surprise just right for the house females.
Do the fans throw much more heat into the room ?

yes and no. if you push your hand in front of it you will be dissapointed. BUT its meant more to ensure proper draw of air flow from the back and underneath the stove and encourage that thermal convection current. Its not unknown for a stove - especially in an inglenook fireplace - to get dead zones of air and these get very hot and just heat up the brickwork and the air doesnt circulate fully.
the idea behind the fan is just to remove all of these and keep the convection current going. think of when you put a towel on top of a radiator to dry - it kills the airflow between the rad and the wall and reduces its effectiveness by about 50%.

yes and no. if you push your hand in front of it you will be dissapointed. BUT its meant more to ensure proper draw of air flow from the back and underneath the stove and encourage that thermal convection current. Its not unknown for a stove - especially in an inglenook fireplace - to get dead zones of air and these get very hot and just heat up the brickwork and the air doesnt circulate fully.
the idea behind the fan is just to remove all of these and keep the convection current going. think of when you put a towel on top of a radiator to dry - it kills the airflow between the rad and the wall and reduces its effectiveness by about 50%.
Generally I don’t even sit in the room the stove is in due to the heat in there. But my stove sits in front of the existing fireplace that I closed up with fire board. So not sure if I would gain anything from a fan.
As for clothes on a radiator I have given up explaining to my wife that it kills the heat output to the room and she would be better to hang the clothes on a clothes horse in front of the rad instead of on it 🤦‍♂️

Definitely agree the fan helps a lot. We have 3m ceilings so without the fan the heat just goes up there and doesn't really warm us up, but that little bit of air current makes a huge difference in the room, but it also shoves it out the door and up the stairs.
Ours was silent at first (Valiant I think) but got progressively noisier. Periodically putting a couple of drops of oil onto the motor shaft restores the silence for a good few months.

Another item well worth having, if you have a section of single wall flue available, is a stove pipe thermometer. Keeping the stove in the optimum temperature range usually means burning a lot less wood. Quite often once our stove is settled in the flames can die down quite dramatically, but the temperature is still bang on.

Well it's all kicked off...chap round today removed the old radiator and fitted my new designer rad the other side of the wall.
The first fix,flue and stack for the log burner is fitted. Floor tiler comes Monday so hopefully in a week or so the burner will be in.

I had a Facebook flashback thingy yesterday. 10 years since I had my burner installed. Fanatic decision all round. We had it nice and hot lady night when the storm blew through

WIP on my installation..

Attachments

• 20221111_195131.jpg
    20221111_195131.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221111_185759.jpg
    20221111_185759.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221109_171039.jpg
    20221109_171039.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221108_130454.jpg