Woodfordes Admiral Reserve Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sampled this saturday night. Its been in the corny for few weeks but it has a very slight twang after taste. Is this what it should be like as wherry is great so not sure if I may have an issue where something wasnt sterialised properly. Im going to leave it another few weeks before trying it again and hope it disappears

I have mine in the bottle a few weeks. At first i thought it was a very heavy drink, but im really enjoying it now. Not a lot left. I would say it has a strong after taste, but not a bad one.

Hi. I have made 2 batches of Admirals Reserve, 2 of Wherry and 2 of Sundew.out of all of them the Wherry I found to be really bitter. The Admirals reserve was full flavour but not really bitter like the Wherry. The Sundew initially was really sweet but after 6 weeks turned out to be really really nice and had lost the sweet flowery taste.
I would do Admirals reserve and Sundew again but not Wherry. ( to bitter for me)
Finally everybody who has tasted the three brews liked the Sundew first, the Admirals reserve second and the Wherry last.
Saying that they did like them all, just preferred them in the above order.

That's really useful, thanks. I have all 3 kits but haven't started the Wherry yet, normally I'd add hop tea to make a kit more bitter, but thanks to your advice I won't try that, at least not on the first one!

I have the Sundew on now and used hop tea on that, planning to dry hop when it's settled down a bit.

I made the Reserve long to 23l, just added a bit of demerara, and at first it seemed thin but is better now it's had a few weeks.

Did this a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to try it so got into a couple after only a fortnight in the bottle.

Verdict: VERY fruity. Cleared pretty quickly and certainly looks the part.

Now, I have a theory as to why that might be but would be interested to hear other views about the taste, particularly those who mention strong tastes or 'twangs'.

Hi There

1st post on the board

Just bottled this into PET 2 litre bottles - got 9 x bottle - so kit has returned 31.5 pints - not bad for a stated 32 pint kit

o/g = 1048 - this seems same as most peoples reports on this post
f/g = 1006 - was quite pleased with this after 10 days in the bucket

This is my first foray back into homebrew after about 15 years - so looking forward to the results

The fruitiness of mine mellowed after about 2 months in the bottle but I was seriously impressed with this and would happily do it again, maybe with a hop addition and brewing a bit longer. Has anyone tinkered with this kit recently?

Well using 2 litre PET bottles didn't work well at all

Very heavy sediment and poor carbonation

So back to the drawing board

Rebottled using 500ml glass bottles and hoping for the best

Initial thoughts when 1st bottled was very "home-brew'y" taste

This seems to be wearing off a little

What have other people found - was this because I tasted the beer too young????

Cheers

I'm drinking one of these just now that I bottled in April this year......man its good! Really rich deep malt flavour with just enough bitterness to counter it...fabulous!!

If you've down one of these give it a go, you won't be disappointed!

R

MarkS said:
Initial thoughts when 1st bottled was very "home-brew'y" taste
What have other people found - was this because I tasted the beer too young????

When i sampled mine i found it to be the same. i too hope its just the age and it need longer to get better.

it is very rich tho. the Admiral Reserve and Wherry are the same brewed to different amounts giving the Admiral Reserve i rich taste and higher ABV.

so to ppl that like one but not the other :tongue:
just change the starting water amount to the amount/taste you like

dave0w said:
the Admiral Reserve and Wherry are the same brewed to different amounts giving the Admiral Reserve i rich taste and higher ABV.

The AR also has that sachet of hop aroma stuff which I expect is what accounts for the additional fruitiness.

GavH said:
The AR also has that sachet of hop aroma stuff which I expect is what accounts for the additional fruitiness.
Defo. I forgot to add my sachet on initial brew so added it for the clearing. A small taste of the hop liquid I made up and found it was sweet, not bitter as I had expected.

Hi again

Well I have managed to leave the Admirals Reserve for a few weeks now........... and all my initial reservations are gone

Just the right balance between hoppiness and maltiness

Have had worse beers in some so-called "real ale" pubs

This is well worth having a go :D :D :D :cheers: :cheers:

I got this feeling that I was starting to sing the praises of each kit I brewed, irrespective. But I wasn't particularly pleased with this kit. The fruity sachet had a sort of chemical flavour that came through too strong.

Well, it's had some time to age now (2 months kegged) and here I am again. This mellowed into a really great beer; the first brew that surprised me after I thought I'd already formed my opinion.

So far I've tried St Peter Ruby Red, Woodfords Wherry, Brewferm Diabolo, Muntons Smugglers & Muntons Old English, and I think I'm safe to say that this is the best so far. This could easily be a commercial brew. Worst so far? Muntons Smugglers. Personal taste of course.

I thought the same at first and put it down to pitching the yeast at around 34C. I assumed the strong 'fruity' taste was the Esters that had been likely produced as a result of fermenting at such a high temp. Given 2-3 months though and it just got better and better. Interesting to note that you had a similar experience, which suggests the strong fruity flavours were more likely a result of the hop sachet. This is definately better than the Wherry as a result though.

Just had a pint of Arkells Moonlight in a pub in Wiltshire (The White Horse in Woolstone).
The similarity to Woodfordes AR is, I think, quite striking. It's fair to say I was very pleasantly surprised to find something so similar.
Anyone local to Arkells brewery (Swindon) should give it a go.

I have just read through the reviews and the AR is now definitely added to my 'to do' list!

Sounds like it may be broadly comparable to the Adnams Broadside (kegged, ie not the bottled version) - has anyone tried/compared then two??

What temp does everyone pitch their yeast in with this one? Only asking as you brew this short to 32 pints and I have enough hassle getting the temp down off a 40pint brew...this is after putting in 4 litres of boiling water in,how does everyone else do it?

I made the mistake of not checking. Yeast went in regardless. Then i noticed the temp was at least 36c :shock: Not surprisingly, it went off like a rocket and seemingly fermented out within 48hrs. I was expecting off flavours as a result but I think I got away with it somehow!

Latest posts

Back