Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steevie_b

Reaction score
So have started off with my first kit in a while with a Nelson's Revenge.

Made it yesterday with a SG of 1.042 and looks to be fermenting well!

Steve

Just started a Great Eastern, looking forward to seeing how these kits turn out :cheers:

Good choice of kit mate, i've done bout ten woodfordes kits this year and Nelsons Revenge is def my favourite. All the best with your brew :cheers:

Thanks. Took a gravity reading today and it's at 1.020, so progressing well.

All the woodfordes i've done have finished fairly high, i seem to average between 1012 and 1014 but as long as its constant its ok to bottle or keg :cheers:

So it's stopped fermenting (finished at 1.012), what do I do now with regards to getting it to the corny?

Do I need to clear it first?

Do I need to prime it with sugar?

I was thinking about batch priming it in another barrel, leaving it for a few days to clear a little then transfering to the corny?

It depends really on your preference.
Personally, I would leave it in the FV for another week to 10 days - this will allow more yeast to drop out and the beer will become a lot clearer. Then I would transfer it to the corny and force carbonate.
If you want to use sugar to prime it; dissolve 65g of sugar in around 100ml of water and boil or microwave it to sanitise it. Allow to cool a little and add this to the corny....syphon the beer on to the top of this and put the corny somewhere warm for week to condition and then move to a cool area for it to drop clear.
You will get more sediment if you use sugar to prime.

Good choice on the kit - the Nelson's was my fave when I was using kits :thumb:

It's done.

photo2aw.jpg

A cornie worth and 7 bottles! Really looking forward to drinking it!

:drink:

Excellent stuff fella!

You will have to give your opinion on the taste, I currently have Woodfordes Wherry in the FV, and Coopers Mexican Cerveza in the other FV :)

I have also ordered Woodfordes Norfolk Nog so should behere in next few days.

:cheers:

steevie_b said:
So have started off with my first kit in a while with a Nelson's Revenge.

Made it yesterday with a SG of 1.042 and looks to be fermenting well!

Steve

Hi Steve, good choice and I am sure it will be good!
Some years ago I did Woodforde's "Headcracker" ale - I am sure it was called this ... all I remember it was strong.
I read quite a few comments about Woodforde's kits being difficult, perhaps some are more difficult than others....
Enjoy!

Woodfordes stuff are just as simple as other kits I've done (except from the more recent BruPak one where there was the added step of making the hop tea...)

I've had the Wherry in the past and I remember it was pretty good. This one I think is a bit smoother and slides down the throat rather well...

Isn't the Headcracker a barley wine...?

Latest posts

Back