Woodfordes Wherry Review

Discussion in 'Member Reviews - Beer Kits and Brewing Equipment.' started by jobby, Feb 4, 2012.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 14, 2019 #881

ThePour

ThePour

ThePour

Thanks @terrym , I appreciate the encouragement.

I went to the brew shop, bought a replacement seal for the valve and, I think, it is sealed now - though who knows. I did add a little more sugar - so fingers crossed. As per @An Ankoù 's suggestion, I'll hide it away in a corner for a week or so before I take it out to the shed.

Whilst at the brewshop I ordered in some grains for my first partial mash (is that correct?) brew. Of course, I'll start adding chocolate and stuff because I can't leave anything alone... I'm going to try this recipe: https://homebrewanswers.com/milk-stout-recipe/

2. Nov 14, 2019 #882

terrym

terrym

terrym

@ThePour
    I had a quick look at part of your Stout video.
    The recipe is for an extract brew which uses grains in a steep as far as I could see. There is no grain mashing involved.
    And I suggest that when you add the DME to the hot grain steep liquor do it off the heat and keep stirring until the DME (which will clump up into solid lumps as it hits the liquid) has fully dissolved. If you do it whilst heating there is a danger that DME can stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.
    Hope it works out for you.
    More on extract brewing here.....
    https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/a-simple-guide-to-extract-brewing.75501/

3. Nov 15, 2019 #883

ThePour

ThePour

ThePour

Thanks again @terrym - I was getting my terminology wrong!

I notice that he doesn't sparge too, which I was planning to do. I'll read up more on adding the DME.

4. Nov 16, 2019 #884

DavieC

DavieC

DavieC

Regular.

I've just bottled 11 ltrs of wherry(one of the 2 cans ,1 pack of yeast) OG1040 ,FG1007.
    In FV for 17 days, was a stop -start fermentation where I had to keep swirling the FV, after 10 days airlock activity stopped again, sg was 1012, instructions say stable under 1014 ready to bottle, but as I wouldn't have time for another week I gave fv a swirl again and it started chugging again, steadily this time, finally bubbling every 5/6 mins.Cold crashed overnight, Batch primed Using 4g sugar/litre. Sample tasted fantastic.
    Carbing now @20c for 2 weeks,athumb..

parpot likes this.
  5. Jan 3, 2020 #885

DavieC

DavieC

DavieC

Regular.

Quick update on my wherry, ..tried one after a couple of weeks carbing, tasted ok, still young ,quite malty with a fairly bitter after taste. Left it another 3weeks and had another, I didnt like it...tasted harsh, bitter and a hint of twang, really disappointed.However, left it another week and tried one last night, was different again, it was really nice, malty with a Reasonably bitter after taste, no twang. Not sure what the next one will deliver.Id eaten a tai green curry before the nasty one and I'm wondering if that had an effect on my taste buds. ?

6. Jan 3, 2020 #886

Richie_asg1

Richie_asg1

Richie_asg1

I've just had one of mine that is a little over a week into cold conditioning. Good clear pint with good head retention and good carbonation. I was aiming at 2 vols CO2 when batch priming & bottling.

Taste is quite heavy, quite malty, bit young still, good bitter. Not my best but will see where it goes.

.....need a few more to make up my mind. :laugh8:

DavieC likes this.
  7. Jan 4, 2020 #887

tribalfather

tribalfather

tribalfather

afraid to say that my wherry is quite transparent and tasteless after 4 weeks in barrel, unable to see it in the barrel after 4 weeks. Just a brown tide mark............ am I doing something very wrong?

stan likes this.
  8. Jan 4, 2020 #888

DavieC

DavieC

DavieC

Regular.

Hi @tribalfather , when you say barrel do you mean the wherry fermented out and then you transferred it to the pressure barrel for serving ?.
    You should definitely be able to see it, rich mid amber colour.

9. Jan 4, 2020 #889

tribalfather

tribalfather

tribalfather

into 25 litre king keg, didnt last the 4 week mark, two weeks to clear and hey presto back to being empty

DavieC likes this.
  10. Jan 5, 2020 #890

tribalfather

tribalfather

tribalfather

It looked lovely for a first two weeks while it cleared, then week by week it turned transparent from top to almost the bottom

Draft saved Draft deleted