Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just checked the website it's still available at the mo - I'll pop in and pick another up at £9.00 - thanks for the warning Mick.

mick may said:
Mothy1965 said:
Please see a picture of my first ever brew - made the Wherry around 5 weeks ago - 7 days in FV- added 85 grams brewing sugar, put in barrel and left in warm for 2 days - then put in garage to clear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63224629@N06/9009501005/
It's a lovely drink tasty and clear, and I picked up another kit at half price from Wilko on Sunday - I'm impressed with it :tongue:

make the most of your stock...
there not going to stock woodfords wherry any more .... :doh: :doh: :doh:

regards mick... :hat:

Have you got a man on the inside at Wilkos Mick?

Mothy1965 said:
I've just checked the website it's still available at the mo - I'll pop in and pick another up at £9.00 - thanks for the warning Mick.

i tried to order one on line today and it said out of stock and not being re stocked
but glad you could order one ... :) .

regards mick... :hat: .

morethanworts said:
mick may said:
Mothy1965 said:
Please see a picture of my first ever brew - made the Wherry around 5 weeks ago - 7 days in FV- added 85 grams brewing sugar, put in barrel and left in warm for 2 days - then put in garage to clear.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63224629@N06/9009501005/
It's a lovely drink tasty and clear, and I picked up another kit at half price from Wilko on Sunday - I'm impressed with it :tongue:

make the most of your stock...
there not going to stock woodfords wherry any more .... :doh: :doh: :doh:

regards mick... :hat:

Have you got a man on the inside at Wilkos Mick?

haha no i wish i did .. :pray: .
its just i tried to order one as it said it was in stock ...
BUT
just got this message

The item Woodforde's Real Ale Kit Wherry 3kg is sold out and is no longer available

ive just phoned the Weston branch and they are getting more in and have 1 in stock but the price is £19 not £9

Beersphere said:
Mick may. They are not discontinuing Wherry ........... :clap: :cheers:

thanks Beersphere.. :thumb:

EXCELLENT NEWS.... :D :D :D ..

they had me worried there for a bit iv only every done the one kit...
and i no i had lots of probs with the yeast but its totaly lush ..

iv only got about 10ish pints left in my keg ... :( .

but the good news is i got 4 kits in the sale .... :D :D

so im a very happy chappy... :cheers: .

I brewed some wherry about three years ago and we found some bottled in the back of our garage. dont think it had improved greatly but very drinkable.

I began a Wherry kit on 25 May, and made it up to four gallons, with an OG of 1046. I bottled last Tuesday with 80g of brewing sugar and an SG of 1014, so that's roughly 4.3% ABV. I've sampled a couple of bottles and all seems to have gone very well. A very nice hoppy aftertaste. I used the local tap water as is.

Beersphere said:
They are not discontinuing Wherry ........... :clap: :cheers:

PHEW! That's a relief! Apparently Wherry is 'seasonally discontinued'. So it will be back at Wilcos. :cheers: :cheers: :party:

Grrrrrr. Stuck at 1020!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fermented @ constant 20 Degrees and went like a steam train for 3 days, then nothing. Checked gravity after 10 days,,,,,,1020. Give a little stir, poked the bottom and waited 48 hours,,,nothing. Still at 1020. Added packet of Nottingham ale yeast and couple spoons of brewing sugar,,,,,,and waited,,,,. Nothing. Been in the FV now for 3 weeks and yep, still @ 1020,,,, :x

Brewed this after seeing so many good reviews and wasn't disapointed. Had no issue with stuck fermentation but I do tend to leave the beer for two to three weeks in primary anyway as I heard it helps with the clearing and haven't had a cloudy one yet.

Every time I drink one of these I have to stop look at it and say how great a pint it is! Mind you on a tasting test with a group of mates on Friday, this was beaten into second by Brewmaker Best of British IPA with challenger hop tea added in secondary for a couple of days. Then I look at Wilko and see that that particular beer is back at £22 so will do more of the Wherry.

When you're making a 40ish pt brew whats a few quid for a bit of variety. Granted, Wherry is very nice, but if you think the Brewmaker was better, why not get a kit on, or why not get a Geordie/Wilko one-can kit going...

Sampled my latest Wherry last night - this one was with 500g beer enhancer, dry hopped with 33g Goldings, conditioned in barrel for 4 weeks.
I had some bottled Wherry made with 500g beer enhancer to compare back to back.
Both are good but the extra aroma and slight increase in bitterness gives the edge to the latest one.

Fortunately I have one more Wherry kit left from the Wilko sales - probably put this on after the summer :thumb:

I've made 3 Wherrys now and all have been good session beers :cheers:

I've bottled a wherry kit and loved it! Got one bottle left now :( but i have some Wilko golden ale to keep me going!

I'm hoping to have another Wherry kit kegged and ready to drink the first weekend in september.

Any advice for this?
Should i get the kit started this week?
How long will it last in the Keg without it being touched? I dont have the C02 cap thingy.

I plan on priming it in the barrel, leaving it to condition there then hopefuly it will be a half decent drink by the September 7th?

Cheers,
Pinchy

Disaster, let me do the wavy lines; Scooby Doo, back story to about 4 weeks ago.

I bottled 38 lovely pints of WW. My first brew of WW in the barrel was gone, so after 2 months I braved the heat-wave and went into my garage, put a WW bottle in the fridge.

Sweet baby Jesus and the Orphans.

Volcano. Massive surge of bubbles. Beer mixing up all the sediment and continual froth. "Must be the heat" I thought.

A week ago, tried another, even though the heat-wave had passed. The same. I also found at the back of my garage a bottle, completely empty. It had basically blown the base of the bottle off. The whole top of the bottle was perfectly fine!

So, I have taken drastic steps. New barrel, popped all the bottles, 1 at a times, and poured the lot; sediment, froth, beer into a keg. Put the top on, left it a week.

Now; it is a bit cloudy due to me remixing all the sediment, but it has lost its volcano edge and smells / tastes like WW.

The reason for this posting; I made this beer for my sisters wedding in 3 weeks. Is there any way I can get this beer clearer faster (finings / Voodoo?) or I have i Damaged the brew beyond belief? Should I go to Bargain Booze and buy a crate of Timothy Taylors Landlord?

Cheers me dears...

slash_1_uk said:
Just started this brought from wilkos, gravity read at 1.032 will see how it goes over the course of this week.

1032 seems quite low, did you stir well when you made it up?

GS :drink:

Latest posts

Back