Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did stir well greenland i noticed after iv put to much water in (not sure what made me fill to 25 litre must have had a blonde moment), i'm not sure how it will turn out now but today is day one it's been bubbling out the air lock once a second,temp in brew room is 19ish in day 15-16ish at night, I will be happy to take a lower % as long as the ale tastes good could be my first disaster though, fingers crossed.

Any advice how to regain flavor if i will loose some would be greatly appreciated please.

I brewed this and added 250gms light spray malt 50 gms brewing sugar, just what I had left. Brewed short to 21 litres and dry hopped with 30 gms EKG. Its been in the bottle for just over 3 weeks and its a great pint. I bought a bottle last week just to try the real thing and I can honestly say mines up there alongside it. Well pleased with it.

GS :drink: :drink: :drink:

Only 8 pints left after this one below, which I'm enjoying as I type. :( I'm drinking the last few very infrequently now, to stretch them out. The Summer heat delayed me getting brews on*, and another Wherry is sitting on my shelf ready to go ASAP. It's a terrific pint, albeit with 40g EKG pellets in it for 5-7 days and short to 21.5L here.

Well worth all the attention on this lengthy thread, in my opinion, though I'm sure there are other great kits out there. Cheers :cheers:

*Brew fridge now up and running, so that wont happen next year!

20130828_203125.jpg

I brewed one of these at the end of July and bottled it on 11/8/13, exactly following the instructions as it was my first ever kit. Had the first taste after two weeks in the bottle and whilst it was drinkable it was not actually nice. I took a bottle to a party yesterday for some public opinion and it had totally changed in that extra two weeks into a really good beer, everybody liked it and I now have to bring a crate load to the next bash! When people keep urging patience on this forum they know what they're talking about.

I primed each bottle with just over 1/2 a teaspoon of brewing sugar and it gave a good amount of carbonisation - not too much but a steady stream of small bubbles coming through the beer.

Am really pleased with this kit and whilst I'm about to move into all grain brewing I would be happy to do this beer again.

I bought myself one of these just based on all the comments from here. I put it on just as the heat wave hit in August I worried myself to death as the temperture didnt go below 25 degrees.
It went off like a rocket no stuck frementation for me, foamed up overnight on the first night. Kids thought it was great that dad had made a mess on only his second attempt at brewing! :eek:

After I had cleaned up and fitted a new bubble lock it all went ok, still worried about the temperture until I spoke to a brewer who told me not to worry it will taste different might be alot different might be a little different, good different or bad different. Well I bottled 10 pints and kegged the rest.
Left it for 3 weeks and started drinking, well its a great brew, really like it, passed a few bottles around my friends for taste testing, the results were they all loved it and they all want more!!
This is going to be a regular in my FV :cheers:

I have brewed this beer twice this year and it is one of the best beers I have done. It smells like a proper brewery when mixing, has a lovely smell that reminds you of sitting in the sunshine by a Norfolk Broad and tastes like sunshine in a glass. Lovely.

The only thing was though that my cousin in law and I tried two bottles, one a few weeks in the bottle and the other over five months old and whilst I expected the older one to be better it wasn't. The taste of the young beer was all sunshine and hops and the older one tasted a bit woody. May have just been that bottle but I can't replicate that tasting session at the moment as this beer just doesn't last 5 months unopened in my house yet!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Most of my beers left for a long period of time get much better.

Lesinge said:
...has a lovely smell that reminds you of sitting in the sunshine by a Norfolk Broad...
I'm more a fan of a Northern Lass myself :whistle:

Another positive review of the Wherry here. Mines not even anywhere near conditioned, hell it's still cloudy, but I can't keep my hands off it! Definitely a session ale, not to strong, no overwhelming flavours. OG 1.044, FG 1.010. Easily fermented out in 10 days but it was a little warm!

As a first foray into DIY ale I'm very pleasantly surprised that home brewing can deliver such good results. Very straight forward to do. My Dad brewed at home for a while and talking to him things seem to have improve quite a bit over the years. I hope I can keep enough in the barrel for him to sample in a couple of weeks...

I'd happily brewing it again but it'll have to wait as there's so many recommendations to get through.

twoshots said:
As a first foray into DIY ale I'm very pleasantly surprised that home brewing can deliver such good results. Very straight forward to do. My Dad brewed at home for a while and talking to him things seem to have improve quite a bit over the years. I hope I can keep enough in the barrel for him to sample in a couple of weeks...

I'd happily brewing it again but it'll have to wait as there's so many recommendations to get through.

Welcome to the wonderful world of home brewing! I started at Christmas and am now so addicted I am on my 21st brew!! OK, I drink a lot but I also have got loads of people interested in doing this with my tasting sessions :cheers:

I would also recommend anything in the Simply Range as those beers win points with both me and my tasters :clap:

This was my first ever brew that I did on 11th August & bottled on the 20th as the fermentation had stopped.

Had my first taster last night (3weeks after bottling) and although it is still cloudy with not a great head it smelt and tasted pretty good :thumb: I'm going to do a weekly test to see how (or if) things improve but for my first attempt at a home brew it hasn't turned out too bad :)

As they say things can only get better!!

twoshots said:
Lesinge said:
...has a lovely smell that reminds you of sitting in the sunshine by a Norfolk Broad...
I'm more a fan of a Northern Lass myself :whistle:

Another positive review of the Wherry here. Mines not even anywhere near conditioned, hell it's still cloudy, but I can't keep my hands off it! Definitely a session ale, not to strong, no overwhelming flavours. OG 1.044, FG 1.010. Easily fermented out in 10 days but it was a little warm!.

At 1.010 after 10 days I would have been tempted to give it gentle stir and then leave for a few more days, at least another 4 days, maybe longer. I mean, if you're happy with the result then fine, but give it a go next time and see if it drops another couple of points...

Brewbob said:
At 1.010 after 10 days I would have been tempted to give it gentle stir and then leave for a few more days, at least another 4 days, maybe longer. I mean, if you're happy with the result then fine, but give it a go next time and see if it drops another couple of points...
As it was my first attempt I was a little impatient! (As I'm drinking it already I think that trend has continued.) But 1.044 to 1.010 leaves it bang on the advertised 4.5% so I didn't think it would go much lower. If I can brew more than I drink then I will start to leave them longer no doubt. Patience is the the virtual of a man with shed full of beer. :drink:

Just about ready to start my first brew off Woodfordes Wherry. It seems to be the brew that gets mostly good reviews. It's also my first ever homebrew so fingers crossed. I have been reading through loads of posts on the site some contradict others but I suppose everyone has their option and own tastes, so will take some of the tips and advice and hopefully get a good first time result. As it would be disheartening if the first one was a doosey.

Crumpy

Hi fellow brewers!

First time on here and first time to brewing so please excuse me if I this has been answered before - I have looked.

Started my Wherry kit and all had progressed well although I do have an eternal problem of keeping it cold - ambient temp is around 29 and zircon costs a small fortune, but hey ho. Managed to keep it down to an average 24 degs and after 10 days I had a steady reading of 1011.

Started to prepare to bottle so sanitised everything and made a small sugar solution of about 85grammes sugar to a cup of water which I added to the clean fv in readiness to bottle. I started to syphon off the first fv when ....Unfortunately, I was called away and have had to leave it for a few days.

Will I have to prime again or shall I shall bottle up and hope all is OK

Thanks in advance

Andy

Andytash said:
Hi fellow brewers!

First time on here and first time to brewing so please excuse me if I this has been answered before - I have looked.

Started my Wherry kit and all had progressed well although I do have an eternal problem of keeping it cold - ambient temp is around 29 and zircon costs a small fortune, but hey ho. Managed to keep it down to an average 24 degs and after 10 days I had a steady reading of 1011.

Started to prepare to bottle so sanitised everything and made a small sugar solution of about 85grammes sugar to a cup of water which I added to the clean fv in readiness to bottle. I started to syphon off the first fv when ....Unfortunately, I was called away and have had to leave it for a few days.

Thanks in advance

Andy

i would leave it a few days and check it with your hydrometre. when it gets down to 10.11 again i would the do your repriming as you first set out to do.
your beer should be fine i would say :thumb:

mickthetrick said:
Andytash said:
Hi fellow brewers!

Thanks in advance

Andy

i would leave it a few days and check it with your hydrometre. when it gets down to 10.11 again i would the do your repriming as you first set out to do.

Thanks, I am guessing that the addition of sugar without sealing will lead to some extra fermentation then?

Andytash said:
mickthetrick said:
Andytash said:
Hi fellow brewers!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Thanks, I am guessing that the addition of sugar without sealing will lead to some extra fermentation then?

you got it. :thumb:

Hi Guys, got two Wherry's on (one day after the other). These are my first.

I just thought I would check in and ask a couple of questions as I am aware of the 1020 stick that I hope to avoid.

1) The fermentation started well and in the first day frothed to say 1 1/2 inches. This has now subsided and the only signs i have without opening is a positive pressure gently bulging the lid of the FV... is this normal or should i expect to see a yeasty froth all the time?

2)after how long should start to measure for the FG? I started at 1040 which I was happy with. I don't want to rush it but it would be good to know I have got passed the 1020... should I just be patient and wait the 7-10 days before the first measure?

Many thanks,

Doug

Latest posts

Back