Would I be able to brew something in time for Xmas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm going to get the Wilko can kit on later. It needs 1kg of either spray malt or brewing sugar - I have 500kg of spray malt, so a bit short.... I could very easily mash a kilo of Maris Otter in a gallon with a short boil to make up the difference. I know steeping grains is fairly common, but has anyone ever added mashed wort into a kit?

Last edited:
Odd way of putting it but adding malt extract to a mashed wort is a fairly normal practice. What would be the difference.
I didn't have enough DME that the kit said to use so was going to mash some base malt to add in. In the end I didn't, I just added the 500g of DME but the gravity was about 10 points off, it's going to be a pretty low ABV for an "IPA".

How about using Kviev yeast, not had experience myself, but people have had full ferments done in 3/4 days, at higher temperatures (up to 35°c!!)
Yep Kviek Voss is one I’ve used several times and in a wheat beer. Gives a marmalade hint to the flavour but goes like a rocket. One of our learned forum buds recommended pitching at 40 degrees and wrap to free fall from high temp and it’s all done in 3-4 days. Also good for summer brews if you can’t keep the temperature down.

I was hoping to have at least begun another IPA beer kit in time for Christmas, but having my appendix removed as an emergency two weeks ago, has put paid to that as I’m not allowed to pick up anything remotely heavy (I’m ok with a kettle and that’s about it) and have to take it easy. I’m sure if this has happened twenty or thirty years ago, I wouldn’t have been so bad, but I’m 62, so I doing nothing daft! I’m looking to start another kit some time middle of November, but I think I’m not going to be drinking it until mid to end of January at the earliest.

At least I’ve still got about 30 bottles of the Range IPA I did a while ago, so I think I’ll just have to save those for Christmas!

Que sera eh?
As an update, I eventually settled for a Youngs American IPA. I must admit, it took me a while to eventually get the kit, but I started it off around the second or third week of November, so I was resigned to the fact that I would be pushing it to have a drinkable brew by Xmas.

I added the hops on day 15, left them in for a few days, and I eventually bottled the beer last Wednesday, with it coming out at around 6.2%. It’s now conditioning in the airing cupboard. In the next day or two l‘ll also be starting off a Range IPA kit I bought this morning, so whilst I may not have them all ready for Xmas, it’s my birthday at the end of January, so Yippee Ki-Yay with the birthday celebrations!

Once that’s brewed, I’m either going to try the Razorback IPA, as I’ve heard good things about those, or just get another Range IPA kit!

As an update, I eventually settled for a Youngs American IPA. I must admit, it took me a while to eventually get the kit, but I started it off around the second or third week of November, so I was resigned to the fact that I would be pushing it to have a drinkable brew by Xmas.

I added the hops on day 15, left them in for a few days, and I eventually bottled the beer last Wednesday, with it coming out at around 6.2%. It’s now conditioning in the airing cupboard. In the next day or two l‘ll also be starting off a Range IPA kit I bought this morning, so whilst I may not have them all ready for Xmas, it’s my birthday at the end of January, so Yippee Ki-Yay with the birthday celebrations!

Once that’s brewed, I’m either going to try the Razorback IPA, as I’ve heard good things about those, or just get another Range IPA kit!
You might be able to sample some of your first brew at Christmas. But it will be great in time for your Birthday. Absolutely try the Razorback IPA kit. It is absolutely fantastic. I did it earlier this year and the results were great.

You might be able to sample some of your first brew at Christmas. But it will be great in time for your Birthday. Absolutely try the Razorback IPA kit. It is absolutely fantastic. I did it earlier this year and the results were great.
Thank you. I’m lucky in that I‘ve got a very good shop, near to me (in Pontypridd about 5 miles away) that sells home brew supplies. I mentioned to the owner the other day about Razorback, and he said, ‘If I haven’t got it in stock, I can order it for you’. I got my MJ pink grapefruit IPA kit from him and his prices are also pretty good.

Thank you. I’m lucky in that I‘ve got a very good shop, near to me (in Pontypridd about 5 miles away) that sells home brew supplies. I mentioned to the owner the other day about Razorback, and he said, ‘If I haven’t got it in stock, I can order it for you’. I got my MJ pink grapefruit IPA kit from him and his prices are also pretty good.
Great. I’ve got the Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA in bottles at the moment. I’ve just 12 x 500ml bottles left. I’m saving the rest for Christmas. It’s a great kit, I’ve done it 3 times and I’ll be doing it again.

Back