WOW OG at 84!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu9000

Reaction score
Just tried the Orange wine recipe.
Added Sainsburys Basics Orange Juice and, on one DJ, 100% Sainsburys Red Grape Juice (I could not find white). OG=84!
On the 2nd DJ I added sainsburys White grape (30%) and Pear (10%) juice. OG=92
Both juices say "no added sugar" but with the 800g sugar syrup added the OG is coming out a lot lower than the 1000ish stated in the guide.
I only did it this morning, but fermentation doesnt seem to be initiating particularly fast.
Is the sugar level so high its going to retard the ferm process?
If it is, should I dilute?
Ta
S

Sorry, I don't understand the question. What gravities are youquoting, the individual juices or a mixture?

If you've used 2 litres of juice plus 800g sugar plus water the levels are fine, just give it time.

If Sainsbury's stock a white grape juice, I've never found it either.

ta.
OG measure taken after mixed 1L of orange juice, 1L of grape, cup of tea, pectolase, nutrient and 800g sugar (just yeast to add) into 1 gall DJ

who hoo - its going great guns now.
great lava lamp effect.
i think i might be talking rubbish too cos i cant remember if now if i took the og before or after i added the suger.
so ill just wait and see.
thanks for the advice.

I have 2 gallons of WOW on the go also .My wife thinks i have lost the plot because i keep going into the utility room to watch it brewing .Maybe after the first batch i wont be as easily amused .

Endadmcc said:
Maybe after the first batch i won't be as easily amused .
Nope, the novelty doesn't wear off.

Are you timing the airlock bubbles yet? :whistle:

The bubbles are a steady flow too many to time when it slows down the stopwatch will likely be out. lol :eek:

Latest posts

Back