Xmas bit of everything bittter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
My last brew was pants, experimenting with different yeasts and dry hopping and got an infection so going back to basics with a standard bitter type beer with no dry hopping and nottingham yeast. Must have beer for Christmas and down to my last cornie. Decided to use all the opened hops in my freezer, seemed about the right IBU, I like it a little more bitter and its turned out a higher OG so probably about right. I wonder how brambling X, cascade, magnun and citra will work out :wha:

I was in a rush so no photos, turned out with about 70 litres at 1050, I really must calibrate my brewery properly.

Made two major cock-ups, forgot the hop strainer so post boil had to jug it into another vessel doh! Then starting pumping the beer through the plate heat exchanger to the FV before I drained off the star san in the FV - double doh! lost about 5 litres or so :oops: then kicked the drained star san wort all over the brewery floor :roll: the air was blue and the floor was brown :D

Recipe: Xmas bitter
Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 90 l
Post Boil Volume: 83.20 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 80.00 l
Bottling Volume: 78.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 20.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 41.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type
0.00 l Yorkshire Water -
7.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)
6.00 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC)
0.70 kg Crystal, Extra Dark (Simpsons)
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
100.00 g Bramling Cross [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 36.00 g Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
36.00 g Magnum [12.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
10.00 g Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
46.00 g Citra [14.50 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min
2.0 pkg Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)

So.... you didn't try to chill the wort with the boiler still on ??

I did..... :oops:

Yippee - it did turn out OK - very nice in fact :thumb:

If I had a grumble it would be that it is not crystal clear, but it only a very slight haze and its only been in the bottle for 2 weeks so there's time yet.

Taste wise, after 2 weeks its great, its turned as expected given the hops I used it tastes like a cross between a British and American pale ale, good head retention too.

There will be real ale for Christmas :cheers: :drunk:

the chiller finally won but it was a hard fought contest..... the boiler struggled on to the end and just wouldn't give up... :D

Back