Yeast problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Useless:>My dad was a very keen winemaker.He made hundreds of gallons between the 1970s- to 1990s for his wife
It really and i mean really took off with my mothers friends.Parties about 4 - 5 nights a week.
So if you plan to start making wine for your own good lady,You may not know what you are letting yourself in for.

Ah, good point, I best make it not to her liking, that way she'll never want anymore and I can have it all :tongue:

I understand chippy I did not explain myself well. In my attempts to give a simple non technical explaination i ended up making sweeping statements.
For that i am sorry.

I "hydrate" all my yeasts. 250 ml of bottled water at 25 deg C, sprinkle yeast on top, add 8 gm brewing sugar, a tip of vitamin C, a tip of yeast nutrient. Stir and agitate with a sterilised spoon, cling film the jug. In one to three hours there is a two inch head and the "starter" lol is added to wort at 20 to 22 deg C. It works for me.

I did not set out to upset anyone. In a way i was just passing knowlege and experince passed down to me from my forebearers.
But chippy is quite right possibly putting off beginners from winemaking is not right.
Therefore i intend to respect the agreement as regards beginner winemakers and moderate my contibutions

Re DavieC:> yes you can. Most wild yeasts have low alc tolerance 4-7% but the odd ones can do more.Using a local yeast can confer unique flavours so give it a go.!!
With all the talk of starters I went ahead and made a starter using harvested wild yeast..it fermented the original cider to 1.001 from 1.050 ,so I've now added it to store bought spple juice and its fermenting well.I found it quite interesting watching the yeast developing in the dish. Taste was underwhelming when I racked original cider so only making a 2 ltr batch of the turbo cider and I'll let them mature and see how flavour develops.acheers.

Thinking about it I have never used a wild yeast before.
All my yeasts have come from a packet.

All the supermarket apple juice wine i have made has turned out like a normal white wine and very nice, But not at all like a true cider.
I think its all to do with the apples.

PS If you have a sparklets soda syphon it carbonates rather nicely as well. !!!

Latest posts

Back